Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Found Eggs: Snake?

Posted by mommy2nk 10 (My Page) on
Fri, May 18, 12 at 14:00

I was working in my soon to be raised bed garden transfering soil into the box. I found a bunch of eggs, I have no idea how many there are but I pulled out a few. I am concerned that they might be snake eggs and I don't know what I should do now. Please let me know if you have seen these type of eggs in your garden or if you have any idea what I should do next. I really don't want to happen upon an unhappy snake..

Thank you!
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Found Eggs: Snake?

Awwwww!

o

They look a lot like lizard eggs I've found, but I'm really not anywhere near an expert... For that matter, my lizard eggs could actually be snake eggs, but I found them in an area (my garage) which I happen to know has a huge lizard population...

o

You should re-bury them in conditions similar to where you found them. If you are concerned that they aren't something you want in your yard, take them to a park or natural area and bury them there.

o

I found something that looked a lot like that in the soil in a hanging basket on my back porch. Not really knowing what it was I scooped it up to take outside and as I was transporting it, it sorta burst open and out raced a tiny baby lizard. It was really kinda neat. :)

o

Agree with the lizard eggs guesses. Common in my garden.

But even if they are snakes the odds are they are beneficial snakes such as common garter snakes.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: How to ID snake eggs

o

Looks a lot like snake eggs I've seen....but you won't know until you either open one up or enclose them in something (with the soil) so that you can see what hatches out of them.

o

I really think they are lizard eggs. I just found a bunch when I repotted a plant. I just put them back into a pot that was in the same area and covered them with a little sand. I think that snake eggs would be alot bigger.

o

Definitely reptile eggs of some sort, won't really know till they hatch. Real point though is that they will be beneficial whatever they are. If they're snakes, they'll eat rodents that would eat your crops. If they're lizards, they'll eat the bugs and beetles that would eat your crops.

Either way, put 'em back out like you found 'em and let them be.

o

Break one open and see what is inside.

o

Oh, geez! Please don't crack one! You will kill it. Put it in a jar with a lid with holes punched in it.Check it daily to see what hatches. No sense in killing a lizard that will eat lots of bad bugs. Or a snake really. We have black snakes here. They do scare me momentarily and I scare them, but they eat bad snakes and mice and rats. Well worth a few seconds of fear.

o

I agree with the others, they look like lizard eggs. My family has horses and we used to find this kind of egg all the time in the manure piles. They like to lay their eggs in compost piles and manure piles because of the heat they generate while the vegetation and other materials are decomposing.

o

• Posted by queenb z8b East TX (My Page) on
    Tue, May 22, 12 at 17:18

Agreed, lizard or gecko eggs. Put them back, or in a similar place. They need moist soil or they will dry out and die.

o

OMG I am the worlds biggest coward. Could be either. I would take them far away and let them do whatever. BUT my tale of horror might excuse me. We had horses, and a manure pile, getting ready for an eventual garden area, my husband was plowing and I was shoveling the pile into the bed of the truck. I came up with a pitchfork FULL of baby copperheads. about 9 of them. I am usually pretty good with snakes, but that was over the top. My first rational thought was "I should probably stop screaming". I could be lizard, could be black snake... or a basalisk.

o

Harvey, I believe screaming and running like a madman are perfectly reasonable responses to coming up with a pitchfork of the most deadly critters on the continent.

o

I think it's lucky that you so readily recognized them.

o

We were on the lookout for them because two of our horses had been bit on the nose, we nearly lost the mini, but she was tough. UGH. I hope the eggs are lizards. (and I would not drive the truck for about a month. kept thinking what I might see in the mirror) The farm we bought had been abandoned for 3 or 4 years, so everything had moved in.
I still like the harmless varieties. We have a black racer here that is REALLY cool

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here