Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mommy2nk

Found Eggs: Snake?

mommy2nk
11 years ago

I was working in my soon to be raised bed garden transfering soil into the box. I found a bunch of eggs, I have no idea how many there are but I pulled out a few. I am concerned that they might be snake eggs and I don't know what I should do now. Please let me know if you have seen these type of eggs in your garden or if you have any idea what I should do next. I really don't want to happen upon an unhappy snake..

Thank you!

{{gwi:53920}}

Comments (24)

• User
    11 years ago

Awwwww!

• julia42
    11 years ago

They look a lot like lizard eggs I've found, but I'm really not anywhere near an expert... For that matter, my lizard eggs could actually be snake eggs, but I found them in an area (my garage) which I happen to know has a huge lizard population...

• denninmi
    11 years ago

You should re-bury them in conditions similar to where you found them. If you are concerned that they aren't something you want in your yard, take them to a park or natural area and bury them there.

• Richard (Vero Beach, Florida)
    11 years ago

I found something that looked a lot like that in the soil in a hanging basket on my back porch. Not really knowing what it was I scooped it up to take outside and as I was transporting it, it sorta burst open and out raced a tiny baby lizard. It was really kinda neat. :)

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Agree with the lizard eggs guesses. Common in my garden.

But even if they are snakes the odds are they are beneficial snakes such as common garter snakes.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: How to ID snake eggs

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

Looks a lot like snake eggs I've seen....but you won't know until you either open one up or enclose them in something (with the soil) so that you can see what hatches out of them.

• zzackey
    11 years ago

I really think they are lizard eggs. I just found a bunch when I repotted a plant. I just put them back into a pot that was in the same area and covered them with a little sand. I think that snake eggs would be alot bigger.

• Edymnion
    11 years ago

Definitely reptile eggs of some sort, won't really know till they hatch. Real point though is that they will be beneficial whatever they are. If they're snakes, they'll eat rodents that would eat your crops. If they're lizards, they'll eat the bugs and beetles that would eat your crops.

Either way, put 'em back out like you found 'em and let them be.

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    11 years ago

Break one open and see what is inside.

• zzackey
    11 years ago

Oh, geez! Please don't crack one! You will kill it. Put it in a jar with a lid with holes punched in it.Check it daily to see what hatches. No sense in killing a lizard that will eat lots of bad bugs. Or a snake really. We have black snakes here. They do scare me momentarily and I scare them, but they eat bad snakes and mice and rats. Well worth a few seconds of fear.

• CKilleen
    11 years ago

I agree with the others, they look like lizard eggs. My family has horses and we used to find this kind of egg all the time in the manure piles. They like to lay their eggs in compost piles and manure piles because of the heat they generate while the vegetation and other materials are decomposing.

• queenb
    11 years ago

Agreed, lizard or gecko eggs. Put them back, or in a similar place. They need moist soil or they will dry out and die.

• Edymnion
    11 years ago

Harvey, I believe screaming and running like a madman are perfectly reasonable responses to coming up with a pitchfork of the most deadly critters on the continent.

• User
    11 years ago

I think it's lucky that you so readily recognized them.

• harveyhorses
    11 years ago

We were on the lookout for them because two of our horses had been bit on the nose, we nearly lost the mini, but she was tough. UGH. I hope the eggs are lizards. (and I would not drive the truck for about a month. kept thinking what I might see in the mirror) The farm we bought had been abandoned for 3 or 4 years, so everything had moved in.
    I still like the harmless varieties. We have a black racer here that is REALLY cool

• kmc235
    8 years ago

i saw them

• zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
    8 years ago

Could be turtle eggs; I caught a small turtle laying eggs in my garden last year, and they were about that size. I left them alone, hoping the grand kids would be able to watch baby turtles hatch... but some predator found the eggs that night, and destroyed the entire nest. :-(

• Geo Sank
    8 years ago

Copperheads and garter snakes bear their young alive..no external eggs.

• Diane Saarinen
    8 years ago

I love this comment because we just found a hatched egg which a friend says is a snake egg on our deck. I'm hoping for a king snake, to help us with the squirrels who were squatters above our ceiling til we evicted them!

• Diane Saarinen
    8 years ago

Here's the pic, if anyone can help ID. Thanks!

• zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
    8 years ago

Are you sure that is an egg? Noting the wet deck, I wonder if that is some sort of fungal fruiting body... it looks like an old puffball mushroom.

• Diane Saarinen
    8 years ago

I found out from my neighbor who is a wildlife biologist that it's a gall from an oak tree.

• Tina Buell (Z9b)
    5 years ago

I live in Northern California and just found a nest of the same looking egg about 2 feet down in soft soil near the base of a newly planted tree. I freaked out. I think they are snake eggs. I hate snakes. I know they are good for the garden, but I still hate them. I was so grossed out I couldn’t finish planting in that area.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting