Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
slimy_okra

Okay, so I now have 3 new raised beds

Slimy_Okra
11 years ago

Dimensions are 16 ft x 4 ft each, covered with IRT plastic. I was thinking of putting two rows of cantaloupes in each bed (as opposed to hills), with 4 plants per row for a total of 24 plants altogether. Does this sound good to you or too crowded? There is space for the vines to sprawl between beds.

Another question, how many Japanese eggplants would I able to fit in one bed if I skipped the melons? 20? Thank you for any thoughts.

Comments (6)

• zeno-25
    11 years ago

Have you considered using smaller melon varieties (I'm trying melons for the first time this year (Charentais and Piel de Sapo) and have them going on a trellis. So far they are outgrowing my cucumbers, which did very good on their trellis last year.

• m_lorne
    11 years ago

Your profile indicates you are in zone 2b. You are going to struggle with canteloupes. When you say canteloupes, do you mean traditional French canteloupes or American muskmelons? Muskmelons require a ton of heat, water and sun. Canteloupes are a little more forgiving, but not by much.

Spacing: WAY too crowded. The root systems on a melon plant is approximately mirrored by the vine system. When you see the vines sprawling, the roots are trying to do the same. If you need the vines to sprawl out of the bed because you don't have enough space, how are the roots to have enough space? Personally, I grow my melons 4' on centre, with rows 4-5' apart. That may be a bit extreme, but I don't like watering every other day. I would not consider growing closer than 3' between plants. So in other words, no more than 5 plants per bed based on your dimensions.

• Slimy_Okra
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the reply, I will do as you suggest and space them farther apart.
    It is rather difficult to grow muskmelons here but I get by using plastic mulch and row covers. The yields are low, but the few melons I do get taste out of this world.

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    11 years ago

Okra, what types of melons are you growing this year? I have about 8 different varieties of seed including watermelon, canteloupe,and musk melon. Only watermelon this year for me but just curious if you grow the "made for the north" varieties.

Ginny

• rayinpenn
    11 years ago

Wow melons in zone 2b thats ambitious! In your zone I would almost say you probably need a low tunnel. It would definitely improve your odds. You need heat, full sun and good luck. Is there anyone else growing melons up there? I would love to hear. What I am talking about is very effective and inexpensive.

This year I am trying melons in earnest. They are growing in my greenhouse and in my garden. The greenhouse plants have flowers on them! My garden gets more sun since I had some trees removed. I am very hopeful that this time I'll have success.

My cheapo Low tunnels

Third picture right side.

• rayinpenn
    11 years ago

Wow melons in zone 2b thats ambitious! In your zone I would almost say you probably need a low tunnel. It would definitely improve your odds. You need heat, full sun and good luck. Is there anyone else growing melons up there? I would love to hear. What I am talking about is very effective and inexpensive.

This year I am trying melons in earnest. They are growing in my greenhouse and in my garden. The greenhouse plants have flowers on them! My garden gets more sun since I had some trees removed. I am very hopeful that this time I'll have success.

My cheapo Low tunnels

Third picture right side.