Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

Growing veggies in tires...any downside?

lavender_lass
12 years ago

I'd like to grow potatoes in tires this year...and also read that it's a good way to grow carrots and parsnips, especially with rocky soil. Has anyone tried this? Did it work well?

Also, are there any negatives to using tires? Any problems with pollutans on tires or other issues? I saw a comment that it could be a concern and the tires should be lines with plastic, but I have not seen that on the Internet sites.

Thanks for any help on this. If it turns out to be a good idea, my nephew really wants to try it in his part of the garden :)

Comments (9)

• candogal
    12 years ago

I wouldn't go near tires for gardening because I'm allergic to latex (natural rubber) - enough that I have anaphylactic symptoms and have to carry an epi-pen. Avoiding latex is a major chore. (I have a whole kit in my car for if I have to change a tire.) I'm always cautious about gardening ideas that involve rubber, because this allergy is becoming more common - a few percent of the population - several times more people than peanuts. I wouldn't grow food in something that's a problematic allergen even if I weren't allergic to it.

There are also potential toxic chemical downsides, like you said. Not only during use, but old tires tend to be stored in places with stuff like oil, etc. Don't some also have binding agents that aren't good for you? Sorry, can't remember what.

Tires aren't very thick, unless they are large ones. Is there something else that could be used for a raised bed for those carrots and parnsips? It's not that hard to build raised beds from untreated lumber. You could cut the wood so your nephew could have cool shapes, too.

Of course, lots of people still do it, so you might decide it would work for you.

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

There has always been a great deal of controversy about growing food crops in tires because of all the synthetic chemicals contained in them. Those chemicals include arsenic, benzene, cadmium, lead, chromium, mercury, nickle, phenol, etc.

Whether or not those chemicals will leach out into the soil or not is debated but there is some evidence that they do over time. Whether or not the foods grown in them will take up those chemicals is also debated.

So basically it comes down to your choice and I'd recommend you first do some research into exactly what chemicals they contain and then make up your mind. Just Google 'chemicals found in tires'.

Otherwise, most feel that there are much better alternatives to use.

Dave

• fespo
    12 years ago

This year Im trying burlap bags for my potatoes. I have never try this before but i would guess it would be close as to growing in tires. I filled the bags about 1/4 full of dirt, then 4-5 potatoes seeds in each one, then alittle more dirt on top of the seeds. I did about 30 bags tonight. We will see if this works.

• wordwiz
    12 years ago

I'm still doing the old-fashioned way - in the garden. I was finally able to till some ground and get some seed spuds in the dirt. Not a bunch, about 105 linear feet. Half Yukon Gold, half Kennebeck.

Two years ago, I had a great harvest, which was good. Still eating on them. Last year, thanks to spring monsoons and the worst summer drought I've seen in 50 years, not a single potato.

Mike

• weednwait
    12 years ago

Many years ago I tried raising potatoes in tires with poor results. The tires were heavy to stack and it was difficult to keep them filled with dirt/mulch so that potatoes formed all the way up the stalk. Also hard to keep them well-watered during our hot (over 100 degrees) August. The black rubber absorbed heat and the poor things almost cooked. I did get an average harvest of potatoes but nothing spectacular.

The only up-side to this method was that it allowed me to grow potatoes vertically in a small garden space instead of in rows. I now use "muck buckets" the big plastic tubs with rope handles and have found this works much better and quite frankly, looks a lot better too! (Those stacks of black rubber tires made my garden look like a wrecking yard..)

Good luck, whatever you decide.

WNW

• Belgianpup
    12 years ago

Having rocky soils at several places where I've lived, I've tried nearly everything for raised beds. Tires were the most awkward, the most difficult to fill, the worst to dismantle, and actually cost money to dispose of.

So far, the best seem to be (age will tell) circles made from baked enameled roofing metal. If you go to a place that sells roofing metal* (NOT metal roofs), they will often sell it to you flat (uncrimped -- BE SURE TO SPECIFY THAT), right off the roll. I've bought 10-ft lengths (I think they're about 39" wide) and had them cut them into three sections about 13" wide. Cutting metal is their business, so let them do it, they do a nice, quick, smooth job. A 10' length makes a 38" circle. Ask if they have sales, for future reference.

They roll them up and tape them for you so you can carry them home in a Miata. Keep the kids away when you untape them, they spring open quickly and lay flat. Allow for a 1" overlap, drill three (matching) holes down each end, insert short screws and nuts (stainless steel is a little more expensive, but I would recommend them) and you've got a garden bed.

I think the metal was about $1.50/ft, so that would be $15 for 10 ft, cut in thirds would be $5 per bed (plus screws). Cutting was free. Since their sheet metal comes off a huge spool, they might cut them longer for bigger beds, but keep in mind that they flex until they're filled, so watch the circle for distortions as you fill... unless you WANT an oval or egg-shaped bed.

If that edge bothers you, get on your local FreeCycle and ask for some old leaky garden hoses. Cut a slit in them and push over the edge.

*In my phonebook, they're listed under ROOFING MATERIALS.

Sue

• merrybookwyrm
    12 years ago

Sue, thank you for the good idea for raised beds. May I ask what are the advantages of "baked enameled roofing metal"?

• jeanwedding. zone 6
    12 years ago

I tried the tire method years ago. finally got some old 2by6 cut so to make pototo bins like On this forum and such I believe you tube...
    Metal circles sound neat.
    I am presently growing lettuces in 4 foot length of six inch gutters I had made up at the distributor. They rolled them out to what lengths I asked for....wholesaler. hubby put on the ends for me. He riveted them on. I have them sitting on brackets on the deck sides
    In the winter put the gutters with soil in crawlspace. Oh i lined the gutters with landscape fabric, too.
    just my two cents worth
    Jean

• gardenlen
    12 years ago

g'day lavender lass,

not for us they are listed by EPA as toxic product and require special disposal rules. anything that perishes in the sun is very likely to leach chemicals, and as has been said when you want to dispose of them it is going to cost, that is why there is a charge when you get new tyres fitted to dispose of you old tyres.

there are better options like no edging at all see our presentation.

len

Here is a link that might be useful: lens straw bale garden