Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daninthedirt

plant beans in southern midsummer?

I posted this on the Texas gardening site, and didn't get any answers, so I'll try it here.

I have a patch of almost a dozen basil plants that will be ready for harvest in June. Two feet tall, and growing gangbusters. But starting to bud. So I'll have a patch to fill for the rest of the summer. The question is, what to put in. I have tomatoes, pepper, eggplant and squash, so I don't need more of those.

I was thinking of trying beans, pole or bush. Never tried that in midsummer.

Now, the key here is that where I live, July and August are very hard in the garden. My peas were all done in March! Several weeks over 100F, night temps barely below 80F. How crazy is the idea of sowing bean seeds at the end of June here? I mean, even if I keep them wet, is this idea a non-starter? If not, varietal suggestions?

I understand that the beans themselves won't set at high temps, but with two months till maturity, I don't need that to happen until September, when things are a bit easier.

Would appreciate hearing from anyone in a similar climate who has tried this. You northerners, you're excused.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?