Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nickjoseph

Too early to plant veggies in Milwaukee, WI?

Hi, have the garden soil all prepared with nutrients, garden soil, mushroom compost. Wondering if it is still too early to plant our tomatoes, green peppers, cukes, green beans & herbs? I just don't want to have to go & cover everything planted every night. IF that would be the case, I'd rather wait to plant. Anyone, pleassse?????? Location is Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Comments (7)

• elisa_z5
    9 years ago

In my zone 5 garden, I looked ahead at the 10 day forecast and decided to put squash (same as cukes) and green bean *seeds* into the ground. My transplants -- like tomatoes, I'm waiting a few days to put in since they don't like the night time temps we're still getting (mid 40's)

Just peeked at your 7 day forecast -- maybe tomorrow evening to put in tomatoes? After that, your night time lows stay safely in the 50's and 60's for a while. When they say low of 50, I don't trust it. Last year in late May NWS said low of 40 and we got a hard frost. So just keep a watch out for any nights (in June! unlikely?) that say low of 40 and cover then.

Herbs vary so much. Basil will die with the lightest of frosts. Parsley, oregano and tyme will live through winter temps.

I'm saying all this, assuming your last frost date, fingers crossed, is end of May.

• zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
    9 years ago

I'm just north of you, near Lake Winnebago. Provided that the soil is prepared & the soil temperature is warm enough, you should be able to begin planting. I've had all of my plants outside for several days now - even through some nights in the upper 40's - and they look strong. Keep in mind, if your garden is in a sheltered area or near concrete, it will probably be warmer there at night than the forecast low.

My garden is still a little too wet to till deeply, but I'm putting some of my tomatoes & peppers into large outside pots today.

• nickjoseph Milwaukee, WI
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I just planted everything & got in the house now (6:30pm CST). My Mom always has me dig little "water gulleys" around the plants. Then I watered thoroughly. Plus I added more "garden soil" into the hole around the plant before adding more normal soil. Even though we had used a number of bags of garden soil & 3 bags of mushroom compost to the soil & raked & shoveled & worked the soil this past Thursday, here 2 days later--lumpy dried out soil. I ended up raking through it again....Errrrrrrrrr :(
    Hopefully it will all be happy. The only garden area we have is behind our garage (east end but plants face the southwest--if that makes sense.) End result unless we get a few more pepper plants & plan on plant beans---5 tomato plants(2 cherry & 3 bigger), 2 green peppers, 4 cukes, oregano, basil, rosemary, chives, parsley. Oooooooooh my aching back....

• maj742 (zone 4-5) north-central WI
    9 years ago

I just planted everything in my garden in Green Bay WI. I looked at the 16 day forecast and there is no frost predicted. It is late enough and the near prediction is for some heat. I even put in my eggplants and peppers into containers. The rest: tomatoes, squash cucumbers etc. are in the soil. Here it where I find the 16 day forecast: http://wxweb.meteostar.com/sample/sample.shtml?text=kgrb

• therealdiehl91
    9 years ago

I don't think there is any more risk of frost at night....Are you transplanting seedlings from indoors or are you growing straight from the seed outside? I'm in Waukesha and just transferred my Serrano peper plants into their permanent pots outside last week and they are doing fine with the temps. I plan on hardening off my cucumber and sweet pepper seedlings starting this weekend.

• nickjoseph Milwaukee, WI
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I planted over a week ago already--all plants. Tomorrow going to add a cuke, 3 pole bean plants, 3 onions & 1 more green pepper plant. Will be planting radishes from seeds. Our basil looks like it wants to croak & one green pepper died....why I have no idea....errrrrrrrrrrr

• ltilton
    9 years ago

Kind of late for radishes