Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Raised Garden, Help with next step..

Posted by mommy2nk 10 (My Page) on
Mon, May 7, 12 at 14:42

We just built two garden boxes measureing 4ft by 8ft and they are 12" height with a 2" cap. They will be placed where there was an existing raised bed (pevious home owners used treated wood). Other then a small section that I dug into this was sectioned off as a raised garden and I am not concerned about weeds coming up underneath.
I am ready to place the boxes in there homes but I don't know what if anything is need before filling. I have seen people put down cardboard or newspaper then fill up. I will be using as much as the existing dirt as I can however it certainly needs to be amended and made more rich. How much of the existing dirt should I put in and how much amendments should be placed in? What amendments would you suggest putting into the soil? I appreciate any feed back you have, thank you!
Here are pictures of the existing area and one of the boxes:

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Raised Garden, Help with next step..

Very nice. I would put hardware cloth below your soil to keep gophers, etc. from tunneling in. As far as soil mix use the search feature and you should find a wealth of info.

o

lovely. If you do not want them to gray be sure and stain them soon.

o

Those are nice beds! I agree, put hardware cloth down if there is any concern for gophers or voles in your area. It's a tightly metal mesh that goes down before you fill the beds.
I filled my raised beds with a mix of about 1/3 manure and compost and 2/3 soil. Things grew nicely in them last year.

o

would the gopher protection need to protrude a little beyond the garden edges?

can you access spent mushroom compost? that is our preference.

len

Here is a link that might be useful: lens straw bale garden

o

I usually try to break up the soil underneath a new raised bed as much as I can. I then put down a nice thick layer of composted manure (horse/goat/chicken, whatever's available).
I have access to great compost/soil mixes from our landfill. Ours are certified organic. Not all are, or you can find a soil/landscaping type place that carries different soil mixes. Usually the "vege mix" has a good amount of compost that isn't too hot.ASK, though!
I top the beds with my own compost usually early spring so it has a chance to settle in before planting.
Every couple of years I get a truckload of the stuff from the dump to re-fill my beds. They do tend to sink and get a little hard IMHO. I usually churn it up with my weed weezle (or whatever it's called)in between plantings to fluff it up. HTH Nancy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here