Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
butternut squash

Posted by klovescats79 11091 (My Page) on
Wed, May 14, 14 at 14:55

Hi everybody. I have been patio gardening for a year. So far I have done well. This summer I decided to do something different and planted butternut squash seeds I a pot. They actually grew naturally, well the plant did and its well nourished with coffee grounds tea leaves and whey from homemade cheese. Now the question is since I planted so many seeds in onr pot three grew close together. Im afaid to move it. Should I venture separating them ir should I just let nature take its course. Im guessing tne worst that usually happens is one plant takes over and the rest others wont survive, but am I correct? Should I just let nature take its course?

This post was edited by klovescats79 on Wed, May 14, 14 at 15:06

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: butternut squash

Pinch them off at the ground, leaving just one.

o

Agreed. If you try to separate them you'll damage them, and if you let nature take its course you'll stress all the plants. The only way is to pinch off all but one and give that one the best chance of giving you fruit. One plant can produce several squash.

o

If you only want one pinch them off. But if you want more I have to disagree about separating them. In my climate all cucurbits are routinely sown inside and transplanted. They may well be slightly stressed but it does not hurt them in the long run. Today I will be planting out my Zucchini from cells.

o

If I understand the OP, she isn't planning to transplant these squash but leave them in the pot, which can surely only support one vine.

o

Right - I missed that bit. Yes way too many for one pot.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here