Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
BT, powder or spray?

Posted by ikea_gw (My Page) on
Sun, May 1, 11 at 15:10

I need to get some BT to control cabbage worms on my cabbage, but I don't know whether I should go with the powder or the liquid form. What is your preference and why? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: BT, powder or spray?

I have used them both, and I prefer the liquid form. It's easier to deal with. Easier to get it on the whole plant, under leaves, etc. I use it on tomato plants also to prevent horn worms. You must mix and use right away according to instructions, and I tend to follow instructions. Any left over must be discarded once it is mixed with water. That may be a negative for some.

o

whichever you have the equipment to use. You need a pump up sprayer for the liquid. You could get by with a hose end sprayer, but it is not a great applicator. For the dust, you need a dust gun, Dustin Mizer or equivalent. Both forms work well when properly applied. Dust does drift and the plants need to damp when applied. spray can be applied anytime of day.

o
Should have said use same day...

Sorry, I should have said use the liquid BT same day, not right away. I do spraying, gardening early in the day so I discard any left over and clean the sprayer as soon as I finish spraying my small vegetable garden. But you can use it up to 12 hours after mixing.

o

So the shaker can that BT dust comes in is not adequate for application purposes?

o

The shaker can I bought three years ago, Dipel I think, worked just fine for me. I have a small garden. But the BT put an end to the hornworm's nasty business on my tomatoes.

o

I had the shaker style cans of BT, and I thought it was hard to use and get the powder evenly distributed. So I took an old cotton crew sock, put the BT powder in and found using it helped get more even and complete coverage on the plants in our small garden.

o

opal52, that is a great idea. And thanks for the other posters' advice too. I bought a can of BT dust today and will apply it once it stops raining.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here