Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Broccoli and Cauliflower still not heading

Posted by alys Zone 5-6 - MO (My Page) on
Sat, May 12, 12 at 15:21

Okay, so it's May 12 and my broccoli and cauliflower still don't have heads. We had a very weird spring, in March I literally turned off my heat and turned on my AC in two days. It would be 80, then 40 then 70's for a week, then high 80's, then ... you get the idea.

Will these make heads? Should I just pull them up and plant something else? They are taking up pretty much all of my tiny garden spot and I don't want to wait and not have anything at all.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Broccoli and Cauliflower still not heading

We had the same type of weather. I finally got my last cauliflower head a few weeks ago. The brussel sprout plant is just getting taller with no heads. You can start some small plants in between them, and the, if they still don't have heads, cut them off to make room for the other plants. At that point, trying to pull out the roots would disturb your new veggies.

Here is a link that might be useful: cauliflower

o

I think it is still too early for heads in your zone, especially for cauliflower. I'm south of you and my broccoli is just now starting to form small heads and I wouldn't expect any on my cauliflower for another couple of weeks at least.

Assuming they have been properly fed and the weather stabilizes, patience is called for. :)

Dave

o

• Posted by alys Zone 5-6 - MO (My Page) on
    Sat, May 12, 12 at 16:23

Thanks. I just did some work in the garden and looked at them closely. The cauliflower do have some tiny heads starting, about the size of a nickle to a quarter, one broccoli has one dime sized. I've seen one cabbage moth, hopefully the DE I put on them will help keep the Caterpillars from coming to destroy them and I have some Safer insecticide if I start seeing them. They ate them all up last time I tried. I'm not able to find BT anywhere around here and I really don't like using chemicals if I can help it. So, thanks for the ideas and I'll be patient!

o

BT isn't a chemical. It is a bacteria and is approved for organic gardening. It is sold as a powder called Dipel and as a liquid called Thuricide.

Dave

o
re: Organic gardening

Oh, I know it isn't a chemical, which is why I want to use it. I just haven't been able to find it yet. Tried Ace and Lowes. I'll try the local nurseries and see if they carry it.

o

You can find BT online.

o

Walmart carries it around here. So does Home Depot and Tractor Supply.

Dave

o

My Lowe's has it and the brand is Garden Safe. I bought a bottle last week. I am zone 6 and I don't have broccoli either. Mine is growing under row cover because I had so many chewing insects early in the season and I didn't have anything to apply at the time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here