Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When to harvest Turnip Greens?

Posted by KendraSchmidt none (My Page) on
Fri, May 11, 12 at 15:27

Hello,

I'm growing Turnip Greens for the first time and I'm unsure of whether or not I can harvest my greens now. It has been unseasonably cold here, but the weather is beginning to warm up and I'd like to get to my vegetables before the heat ruins them. I've taken a picture of my turnip greens. Can someone please let me know if it's okay now for me to harvest the leaves at this size? I have no idea if they grow as large as collard greens or not.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When to harvest Turnip Greens?

They do not grow as large as collards at all. They are actually quite different. Collards put up a strong central stalk and the leaves grow off the stalk something like branches from a tree. Turnips, on the other hand grow straight out from the root making a cluster of leafy stalks in somewhat of a fountain shape. Your greens look very good. You can harvest them now for sure. You can just cut the leaves off and the plant will make more, or you can pull up the entire plant root and all. They will be good until your weather starts hitting into the high eighties with regularity. You'll want to get them all in and eaten or frozen before then.

o

Those look good. Pick the biggest leaves and eat them. (I cut them off with scissors because I'm a klutz.) Like Donna said, they'll grow new leaves out of the center. Repeat every couple of days.

o

I let mine grow a day or two longer because they cook down so much. Yours are certainly OK to harvest though, and they look delicious.

o

• Posted by jolj 7b/8a-S.C.USA (My Page) on
    Fri, May 11, 12 at 19:23

SHOW OFF.:-)
I would pick the large leaves on all but one plant. Let that plant's leave get bigger, then cook the large leaves by them self & taste test them, then you will KNOW what size leaves you like best.
I had turnips all Winter & never had any as pretty as yours.
I plant more collards then I need, so I can pick them young,small & tender. If I have more then I can eat, I can them or give them to friends who do not garden as much as I.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here