Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is eating my cabbage leaves?

Posted by aaaaaaaa NJ-6b (My Page) on
Thu, May 8, 14 at 15:30

Hi all,
Can anyone please identify what is eating my cabbage leaves? And the possible organic solution. I did looked around and underneath the leaves and did not find anything. I have attached a picture for your reference.
Appreciate your help and thanks in advance. Anna.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is eating my cabbage leaves?

That leaf is not eaten. It seems to be etched with something.

o

Seysonn--can you please check this image?

o

Usually it is slugs but that sure doesn't look like a slug trail. It looks more like some animal barfed on it and the stomach acids ate through the leaf edge.

Your pic over on the OG forum is a better pic. It could be slugs but you will have to go out at night with a flashlight to check for them.

Either way the damage is minimal and no threat to the plant. it is all on the old leaves that will soon fall off anyway. Just remove them.

If you don't want to deal with cabbage loopers you need to get the plants covered with row covers ASAP.

Dave

Edited to add - I see you posted that other pic here while I was posting. Look up cabbage looper pics so you will recognize them when you see them.

This post was edited by digdirt on Thu, May 8, 14 at 19:38

o

Thanks digdirt. Will try row covers. Temps are so ideal for these plants that I want them to get as much as possible natural sun light.

o

OK. the second picture is different.
The leaf is most probably eaten by something.
It can be slug/snail, earwig or looper ? But I think it is probably too early for looper. Fisrt the butterfly has to lay eggs and then those eggs turn into worms/larva. I could be wrong.

But if the shown leaf is your only concern, I would not worry unless and Until you see damage to new growth.
But to be safe cover your cabbage with nylon tulle.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here