Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Epsom Salts for Peppers / Tomatoes?

Posted by juntawillow 5 - Chicagoland Area (My Page) on
Wed, May 16, 12 at 15:44

I read something online suggesting you spray peppers with a mixture of Epsom salts and water (1T to 1G water). You are supposed to spray on the leaves / flowers at bloom time. Has anyone had luck with this? Any other formula you've used? Are you using it for both peppers and tomatoes? If it is recommended - I only have Epsom Salt with Lavender - - would that work just as well?

Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Epsom Salts for Peppers / Tomatoes?

While many add Epsom salts to their planting holes or root drench their plants with a mix of it, especially if they know their soil is magnesium deficient or that their soil is too alkaline to enable good magnesium uptake, use of it as a spray is usually restricted to specific times and needs. In other words it isn't a 'routine' use of it.

Foliar feeding magnesium is usually only used when the plant is showing clear sings of magnesium deficiency and is applied only in the early AM, out of the direct sun (like most sprays) to avoid damage to the plants. And yes it can be used on many different vegetables. When applied correctly it produces a pronounced darkening of the green leaf color.

So could you clarify or link to what you read and why that source was recommending its use? Do you feel your plants or soil are magnesium deficient?

See link below and scroll down to pic 255.

DaPS: if you type 'epsom salts' into the search bar here you find many additional discussions about it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mineral deficiency in plants

o

No particular deficiency noted - I actually just planted transplants. I found mention of it on Epsom Salt Council: http://www.epsomsaltcouncil.org/garden/# and at: http://www.garden.org/articles/articles.php?q=show&id=68

o

I'm actually experimenting with a zucchini plant. I root drenched with epsom salt and water (1T to 1G) plus a pinch of azomite. I'm still waiting to see if it made any difference. One plant may be too far gone, but another has a lot less damage. I really let the one plant dry out before I was able to diagnose the problem. My tomato plants receive a good foliar at first bloom and again whenever I think about it. About once each month.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here