Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
vegetable from last year?

Posted by sevenebulas 5 (My Page) on
Mon, May 12, 14 at 16:01

I just moved into a house with a veg garden. I don't know what was planted in this section last year, and something is coming up. Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: vegetable from last year?

• Posted by digdirt 6b-7a North AR (My Page) on
    Mon, May 12, 14 at 18:15

The odds of it being a vegetable are very slim. The odds are that it is just weeds. Likely seeds from the hay and grass clippings mulch. Very few garden vegetables are perennials or re-seed themselves and survive the winter except some of the leafy greens and that sure doesn't look like arugula or mesculun to me..

Now if flowers have been planted there I'd say Ox Eye Daisies but that is just a guess from the leaf shape.

Post it over on the ID this Plant forum.

Dave

o

thank you I will.

o

Not Ox-Eye daisy. Nor is it any recognisable vegetable that I know of.

o

If I'm perceiving the size correctly, it could be a forget-me-not plant (myosotis) that hasn't bloomed yet.

Edit: I found an on-line pic

Here is a link that might be useful: forget-me-not

This post was edited by party_music50 on Tue, May 13, 14 at 10:08

o

Looks like a clump of phlox to me.

o

It looks like my tarragon plant in an early stage. If you know the smell of tarragon, then rub the leaf and smell it. Also pull one steam that stays on some distance from the clump out. Tarragon spreads under soil, so you should see the root going right under soil level to the main clump.

This post was edited by galinas on Tue, May 13, 14 at 13:17

o

I don't think it is any of the suggestions so far. I can see the resemblance to Myosotis but the leaf shape and flower stems just don't look quite right. It appears to be going to produce some flowers soon which would help. But my money's still on a weed.

o

I'll post a picture after it flowers. i sure hope its not a weed because I just noticed it is in a few other spots in the garden area! Also, does not smell like taragon. The leaf is rough feeling. thanks for all the responses!

o

I agree it looks a lot like forget me not (which reminds me, I must pull a few truckloads out of my yard this year before it goes to seed)

o

Looks a lot like a speedwell/veronica/royal candles to me

o

Looks a tad like tarragon but only with the subliminal suggestion from galinas ;)

Looks almost like Alyssum pre-bloom.

Kevin

o

Still unconvinced by any of the ids so far. Looking forward to more pictures.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here