Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wendybird13

Tomatoes-smart pots

wendybird13
9 years ago

Me again. Ok I have 3 plants growing in 3 separate 20 gallon smart pots. They were blooming then they fell off- they have grown very large in the past 2 weeks with a ton a ton of blooms which are not dropping, but the upper leaves as you can see in pics are rolled. I took these pics in the heat of the day in so flo. They are on the south side of my house get east, south and west sun till probably 6 or 7pm that's a lot of sun! This gets worse I dug up a huge aloe plant and babies that were behind the pots so I had to move them a tad . There were hair like roots growing from the smart pot into the ground which I disturbed. Is this going to kill my plants? Sorry being so weird but this the very first time in a bunch of times my plants haven't been mowed by hornworms- I gave up on tomatoes for years- decided to try again- cuz I love tomatoes :)

Comments (6)

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Tomato Leaf Roll (you can find much about it under that name) is a physiological response of any tomato plant to stress. There are several possible causes but the most common cause is inconsistent soil moisture levels (too wet followed by too dry etc.)

So if the leaves were rolling before you moved the plants that would likely be the cause. Other less common causes are excess nitrogen, pests, diseases, etc. in other words anything that causes the plant stress.

I will ask if there is any fruit set on that plant? Given it's size I would expect to see fruit. If not then I'd make sure you aren't over feeding it or using a high N fertilizer.

As for the moving - while its not beneficial in any way and should be avoided it sure shouldn't do any permanent or long term damage.

Dave

PS: hornworm season here begins in about 7-10 days so likely they are already in your zone. I'd get your plants dusted with Bt and begin daily checks.

• loribee2
    9 years ago

Your tomato plants really don't look bad to me at all. Mine get leaf curl here and there when the weather makes them cranky. They still end up growing to 9' and giving me more tomatoes than I can deal with every year. If your flowers aren't turning to fruit, it's usually because it's too hot. I forget what the threshold his, but it's usually around 90.

• johns.coastal.patio
    9 years ago

I think my hybrids laughed at 94F and set fruit anyway. My one heirloom, not so much.

(Ah, I see that bonnieplants lists the Super Sweet 100 as heat tolerant. My Early Girl seemed to do as well.)

• wendybird13
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes the leaves were curled before I moved the plants, I have also had some yellowing leaves and and brown spots which I picked off. I have been meticulously spraying with garden safe fungicide/ pest. I did see one fruit forming it was tiny and I have a lot of blooms- and fuzzies on top going on.I have not seen any bugs- I check everyday before the sun comes up. Just in case recommendations for a spray that kills everything- I am growing an egg plant, peppers, and a cucumber- will be trying my hand at pumpkins too! If something fails - I will try again next season :)

• wendybird13
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Also I just wanted to mention I did sprinkle some worm castings on top that's when the plants shot up:) a few weeks late I sprayed everyone with that sea magic stuff- maybe the tomatoes did not like but the cucumber did:)

• gin_gin
    9 years ago

In your area I believe most people grow tomatoes during the winter. If it isn't too warm & humid for fruit to set, it soon will be. You may have a little better luck if they're cherries. My mom who is in Boca Raton has already pulled her tomato plants.