Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sitesucks

Amending soil for watermelons

thepodpiper
13 years ago

I am getting my garden ready and am doing the melon section, i can not seem to find the thread on soil amendments for growing watermelons. What do you experts do to your soil to prepare it for growing watermelons.

Dale

Comments (9)

• cyrus_gardner
    13 years ago

melons can thrive in just about any soil. They are not that picky.
    You give them more sun, more heat, they will grow bigger. But if they don;tget sun, heat and fairly long growing season soil, amended or not is not going to make a Big difference. JMO.

CYRUS

• dancinglemons
    13 years ago

OK I've got the heat and the sun but what should I put in the soil to make them happy. I have read the Ag websites but personal experience from home growers would be nice.

DL

• wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana
    13 years ago

Watermelons like loose and deep sandy loam soil. Since my soil was not sandy, it helps to add loosing agents like sand, peatmoss, compost, and perhaps extra well rotted manure. I fertiliZe also.

Cantaloupes are not so picky.

• growinidaho
    13 years ago

YAY! My first ever watermelon seed popped up today and its not time to plant them yet. I am experimenting with a few seeds (maybe they will beat the frost). My soil was just tilled for the first time. I added some old horse manure. The rest of the melons will get compost, old manure and sand. Garden gets at least 10 hours of full sun and cooler nights. Yesterday I planted 8 cantaloupe seeds in tires. Thought I could easily cover them if it frosts again before June. If melons all freeze...no loss, cuz its too early to plant in my area.

• thepodpiper
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I remember reading a thread a couple of years back and the poster said how he dug a hole about 3 foot deep and put in some of this and some of that so that when the roots grew down they were getting what they need as the vines got bigger well the year i read that i decided to follow that advice and the pic below was the end result. Now I do not have a problem with all the other growing necessities of a watermelon Ijust can't remember what i threw in the hole.

{{gwi:8331}}

• wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana
    13 years ago

Surely, Dale, you would remember somewhat more what you had put in about a dozen gigantic holes? LOL

• namfon
    13 years ago

Dale,

I have to ask, am I reading the date stamp correctly ? Jan. 24th 2000 and a baby in diapers, in Michigan ! LoL

But seriously, was your mix close to Earl's above ? I am getting ready to prepare my Melon area and would love to get just a few the size of those puppies, also do you recall the variety you grew ?

Nam

• Lydia Winrow
    3 years ago

Well I’ve done just everything to ensure a good watermelon crop but they have grown bigger than a baseball bow all trills are turn brown which make me this the plant is starting to die sorry for bad typing Any help?