Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Amending soil for watermelons

Posted by thepodpiper so. east mi. z6 (My Page) on
Sun, May 16, 10 at 16:11

I am getting my garden ready and am doing the melon section, i can not seem to find the thread on soil amendments for growing watermelons. What do you experts do to your soil to prepare it for growing watermelons.

Dale

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Amending soil for watermelons

melons can thrive in just about any soil. They are not that picky.
You give them more sun, more heat, they will grow bigger. But if they don;tget sun, heat and fairly long growing season soil, amended or not is not going to make a Big difference. JMO.

CYRUS

o

OK I've got the heat and the sun but what should I put in the soil to make them happy. I have read the Ag websites but personal experience from home growers would be nice.

DL

o

Watermelons like loose and deep sandy loam soil. Since my soil was not sandy, it helps to add loosing agents like sand, peatmoss, compost, and perhaps extra well rotted manure. I fertiliZe also.

Cantaloupes are not so picky.

o

YAY! My first ever watermelon seed popped up today and its not time to plant them yet. I am experimenting with a few seeds (maybe they will beat the frost). My soil was just tilled for the first time. I added some old horse manure. The rest of the melons will get compost, old manure and sand. Garden gets at least 10 hours of full sun and cooler nights. Yesterday I planted 8 cantaloupe seeds in tires. Thought I could easily cover them if it frosts again before June. If melons all freeze...no loss, cuz its too early to plant in my area.

o

I remember reading a thread a couple of years back and the poster said how he dug a hole about 3 foot deep and put in some of this and some of that so that when the roots grew down they were getting what they need as the vines got bigger well the year i read that i decided to follow that advice and the pic below was the end result. Now I do not have a problem with all the other growing necessities of a watermelon Ijust can't remember what i threw in the hole.

Photobucket

o

There's something called "Earl's Hole Method"

I found this on another site, which I cannot link to:

"I ran across Earl's (CHOPTAG Earl) method on the ville. I think I may try it on some in ground tomatoes.

Earl's "hole planting method":
Dig out about 1 1/2 - 2 cubic feet of soil into a wheelbarrow.

Add:
3/4 cup TomatoTone (4-7-10)
3/4 cup Bone Meal (0-10-0)
3/4 cup Epsom Salt
10 lbs premium composted cow manure, or sheep or rabbit manure
20 lbs of soil conditioner (sandy soil full of peat, pine bark mulch, etc. to loosen up clay soils)
Mix throughly and return all of this to the hole.
Transplant deep so just the top leaves are showing.
Lightly tamp down the soil and make a "well" about 1' across so water is retained.
Mulch
Sprinkle a bit more TomatoTone on top."

Here is a link that might be useful: Where is 'Earl's hole method'?

o

Surely, Dale, you would remember somewhat more what you had put in about a dozen gigantic holes? LOL

o

Dale,

I have to ask, am I reading the date stamp correctly ? Jan. 24th 2000 and a baby in diapers, in Michigan ! LoL

But seriously, was your mix close to Earl's above ? I am getting ready to prepare my Melon area and would love to get just a few the size of those puppies, also do you recall the variety you grew ?

Nam

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here