Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
drayven_gw

My first carrots ever!

drayven
14 years ago

My first batch of Little Finger carrots from my first garden ever.

I have to say that I wasn't really sure I believed everyone when they said that home grown food tasted better until I tried these.

I have NEVER liked raw carrots but I figured I'd take a test bite just to make sure they tasted alright and now I wish I had planted 5 times as much! I'll only get another two or three harvests this size this spring.

Next time I'm gonna have to plant more and maybe something bigger.

Thanks to everyone who gave me all the info on how to grow these things and everything else.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:56083}}

Comments (10)

• cabrita
    14 years ago

amen! very nice looking carrots you got there, congratulations! same thing happened to me, and I am still not growing enough carrots after 3 years (I increase the amount every year....). Unbelievable how much better they taste, no comparison with store bought carrots. Something I noticed the first time too, is that you pull them out of the ground and you can smell the carrots scent right away!

• anney
    14 years ago

drayven

Those are mighty good-looking carrots! You grew them in the earth and not a container? Musta' had to really work the soil before you planted them! Since I have red clay that's backbreaking to work and not deeply-friable enough yet for carrots, I don't dare grow them in the earth but I do grow them in containers. Onions, too, for the same reason.

Congrats!

• drayven
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Anney,
    Yup. I grew them in a raised bed along with some Onions and Broccoli.
    Onions and carrots did great but not the broccoli. I think I harvested the broccoli too late because it was kinda bitter.

• mauirose
    14 years ago

i have the worst luck with carrots. Those look great!

• cassieinmass
    14 years ago

Yummmmmy!!!! Looks good!!! Congrats!!!!-cass

• earthworm73
    14 years ago

You are lucky. I think I have 2-3 small and not moving sprouts after planting litterally hundreds of tiny seeds close to a month ago. The site where they were planted was partially shaded until recently (movement of the sun as the season has progressed) and I think that has something to do with it. I will plant more seeds in the same site if nothing else sprouts here in a week or so.

Larrick

• P POD
    14 years ago

Nice healthy-looking carrots! Congratulations.

Which varieties are you all growing? I'd like to find a variety that's sweet and tastes delicious of carrot (as opposed to the many carrots that look good but have little taste).

• cabrita
    14 years ago

ppod, we have tried a few. Danvers, red cored chantenays (or chanterays?), King Midas, little romeos and Nantes (or scarlet nantes). My favorites are the nantes. The King Midas are huge, but if you let it grow fully to my taste they are little woody, however they are OK if I harvest them immature. Little romeos are small round ones, you wait the same amount of time but get less carrot.....to me they do not taste that special, but I will use them as biennial flowers. I am trying Nelsons now, since I bought them as a warmer weather carrot, I am trying to extend the carrot growing season. Never got too excited about carrots until we started growing them.

• imrainey
    14 years ago

Those look yummy! Bet you enjoyed 'em!

Tiny little carrots and cukes from my grandfather's garden -- fresh with the dirt still on 'em -- are what got me hooked into gardening in the first place. ;>

• P POD
    14 years ago

Cabrita, many thanks for the information. I'll give the Nantes a try.

Some years back, I read that putting screens (like window screens) up around the caroot patch would prevent carrot fly infestations. The screen material looked similar to that used in window screens. I guess fine-textured tulle fabric could be used as well.

I can't find the picture, but the screen material had been attached to frames, and four frames surrounded the carrot patch.

The message was that carrot flys stay close to the ground and do not fly over the (I guess 24-36-inch heigh) screens.

Fanfortoly posted a picture of her/his tulle screen on hoops, which I think is fabulous. (Scroll down toward end in link.)

Hope all this is useful. Happy gardening!

Here is a link that might be useful: Fanfortony's tulle screen

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!