Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
angiebyte

Help :-( My garden is being taken over by mushrooms

angiebyte
12 years ago

On the advice of a freind who is very into organic and squarefoot gardening, (his girlfriend does this for a living) I used cotton burr compost to add to my garden.

The husband built 4 raised beds:

One for flowers, 8x4 got half a bag of compost. Doing ok. Not alot came up but sunflowers and a few wild.

Two raised beds for potatoes- 4x4, about half a bag each.

One raised bed for veggie garden, 8x4 got about two bags in this bed, and THIS is the bed that is giving us endless MUSHROOM issues.

When preparing the veggie bed we removed the grass and weeds with a flat shovel, sunk the bed, and proceeded to dig in these two bags of compost to a depth af 6 or more inches. I think we added about three inches of compost on top and hand dug it all in. This was the directions we followed.

So in this small bed, we planted one smaller bush tomato, one pepper, a few onions and two squash, and two trellis worth of climbing beans. I know it sounds like alot but it looks well spaced.

The bed gets a little morning sun, then shade until about 2, then full sun till about 7 right now.

We have red, clay soil. It doesn't drain well (dug a hole and watched how long till it drained. ) But we have also had alot of rain.....plants seem to be doing fine. But theres these dang mushrooms everywhere. Long tall slimey ones. The other beds get the same amt of sun and water but have no mushroom activity. The mushrooms seem to ge growing out of the compost only (theres sort of like clumps in a few places).

We dig them out but the next day they are back. They are growing up through the plants and we cant get them out in those locations without disturbing the roots.

Why do you think this compost is getting us so many mushrooms? How do we get rid of them? I tried turning parts of the soil to expose the spores to full sun, hoping to kill them. I tried digging them out but probably just spread the spores more.

Any advice you have for this newbie is gratefull.

No, we did not do a soil test- we live in OK and I know its pure red clay, haha.

Comments (22)

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    12 years ago

TL;DR.

Why are mushrooms a problem?

Dan

• engineeredgarden
    12 years ago

I agree with Dan, mushrooms aren't a problem for a garden...

• franktank232
    12 years ago

my beds have mushrooms all over... won't hurt a thing. Its a good sign in my book.

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

First, they aren't mushrooms. And second they pose no threat to you or your plants and are considered beneficial and a sign of healthy active soil.

They are just random fungus growing out of the compost. That is perfectly normal and encouraged by most of us who understand how the soil works. Means there is lots beneficial soil bacteria and a healthy micro-herd supplying nutrients to your plants and improving your soil quality at the same time.

Don't worry about them, encourage them. When they get too thick in an area just scratch rake them back into the surface of the soil with your fingers or a hoe and count your blessings.

in this small bed, we planted one smaller bush tomato, one pepper, a few onions and two s

I hope it looks as "well spaced" 6 weeks from now. :)

Dave

• sashahawaii
    12 years ago

The mushrooms probably came from the bags of compost. It happened to me with potting soil.

• angiebyte
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It was my understanding that square foot gardening was supposed to look a bit crowded.

I also have a bad infestation of fungus gnats in this bed. Is this also beneficial?

I appreciate the commments! But I am still not concinved that a mushroom ever inch or so, over the whole bed, is a good thing.

12 years ago

The mushrooms and fungus gnats are an indicator of overwatering (or prolonged wet weather).

Nonetheless, mushrooms are mushrooms. You are free to choose to believe they are bad if that is what you wish to do.

Dan

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    12 years ago

The fungal organism has infiltrated throughout your compost and is breaking it down. The mushrooms are merely temporary fruiting bodies. Remove them if you wish, but the fungi will still be present and active in the form of tiny hyphae and mycelia threaded thoughout. Decomposing fungi (called saprophytes) are a GOOD thing.

Decomposition of organic matter releases (eventually) essential elements into the soil in a form that plants can take up. Recycling at its finest. Once all of that OM has been digested, the fungi will die out.

I, for one, would like to see these mushrooms, though. Any chance of a picture or two?

• angiebyte
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I can take some pics on my phone, but not sure how to post them to here. I'll be right back....

• angiebyte
    Original Author
    12 years ago

here is the album, its got one or two pics, Ill post more over the next few minutes. The mushrooms come up overnight, with some sort of watery slimy substance on top of their flat caps. They fall down in a slimy heap in the afternoon. If I leave them alone, they will cover at least 85% of the ground cover in a solid mushroom mass. Is this what I am supposed to do? The rotting mushrooms are attracting insects. Its been alot of severe weather here so no chance to dry out.

Here is a link that might be useful: mushrooms

12 years ago

LBMs. Doing what they do. Soil critters good.

BTW, I wouldn't really call that a 'raised bed', as it appears the soil level is similar to grade, so few benefits of raised beds will exist until the bed is raised.

Dan

• caroliniannjer
    12 years ago

On a related note, would you say that stinkhorns are a good thing in a vegetable garden?
    (They came in with some compost and the husband is making himself crazy trying to yank them all out)

• caroliniannjer
    12 years ago

In case y'all have been shielded from stinkhorn exposure, see the picture linked below

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:56108}}

• alabamanicole
    12 years ago

So they are slimy and rotting? Mushroom compost is expensive and you are getting it for free. :) I love seeing mushrooms; it means my soil is alive.

Yes, fungi it a good sign. You will also at various times have critters and other kinds of seemingly odd visitors and residents. Relax and enjoy the show. Takes pictures and document their comings and goings and how your garden does before, during and after they arrive. Unless you can specifically show that something living in your garden is causing appreciable damage (like squash bugs, for example), leave it be. Gardens are spaces which are alive and attracting biodiversity is good. Even something which causes only a little bit of damage should be monitored but ignored, because the predators that will solve the problem for you always show up later and need something to eat.

However, it doesn't sound like your garden gets much sun. 5 hours might be okay in OK, but some sun-lovers like tomatoes might under-perform. If so, next year choose a smaller tomato or a grape tomato. They need less sun than their larger-fruiting cousins. You might be okay, though -- 5 hours of direct afternoon sun is marginal but sufficient here.

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

Stinkhorns are just another form of fungus. Stinky but do no harm. Fungus, in all its varied forms, are quite common this year for many of us given all the rain. Once the weather dries out, IF it ever dries out, they will go away all on their own. Dan's LMB link above offers great pics of many different types.

Once again, the role and benefits of active fungi in the soil are common discussions over on the Soil & Compost forum here.

Dave

• angiebyte
    Original Author
    12 years ago

yes they were slimy, but today the came up dry. And with a vengeance! We're talking near 100% ground coverage of crowded mushrooms. Can't even see dirt ;)

The reason it gets 5 hours of sun is most of my gardens in OK have perished in the full sun. Since we are in a drought year, and we have dear in our property, we put the bed closer to the house to try and avoid deer and squirell infestation. But it does get more shade that way. We will probably move it next year, as it clearly isnt drying out as well as other parts of the yard, even tho the amount of sunlight seems to be ok for the veg themselves. Thanks everyone for your input.

One final quesiton- is there any point I need to worry about the amount of mushroom activity, or can it just go unchecked? Is there such a thing as too many?

• jimster
    12 years ago

digdirt wrote:

"First, they aren't mushrooms."

How do you know that?

Jim

• beebsgarden
    9 years ago

I have the exact same mushrooms or fungi that came up in my garden but according to the experienced gardeners that is a good thing right? Also, the vegetables will still be good to eat?

• galinas
    9 years ago

Ha! I eat the mushrooms form the garden) Not all of them, of cause, but few edible kinds. I specially prefer Black-staining Polypore - the spores got to my flower bed with city compost, and now every year it "blooms" there on the decomposing roots of old oak stump. If picked young, taste and texture is similar to beef steak when cooked! CAUTION! Do not eat mushrooms form the garden if you are not an expert in mushrooms)(I picking wild mushrooms from my childhood, but I will not try a mushroom I don't know, or the one i think, I know, but with poisonous look-a-likes existing. )

• Angela Long
    8 years ago

Ignore the pumpkin, my kids love it... Our beds is full of these. They are orange. I've left them alone... Will they hurt the veggies if toxic?

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Angela

They won't hurt the veggies. You can leave them be or treat them as weeds. To me they look like Chanterelle mushrooms in the picture which are common this time of year around my area. They are edible and very good to eat, but don't take my word for it.