Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sheldon_in_austin

Vegetables not growing?

sheldon_in_austin
12 years ago

I bought some baby plants at Home Depot (Tomato, Peppers, Strawberry) and planted them in a raised bed I made in Feb.

Now it's May and they are still the same size. I'm worried because my friends who also planted are saying their tomato plant is like 4 feet tall?!

I water almost every day (I haven't been able to once and awhile) and gave the bed a fertilizer in the beginning of May. I know they're getting direct full sun from 12 pm to 6 pm.

Any ideas?

Comments (10)

• noobgardener2010
    12 years ago

This is only my second season growing vegetables but I can tell you the two big mistakes I made at first were not watering enough, and not making sure the water actually was absorbed by the soil.

When you water you want that water getting down to the roots, that depth will depend on the plant. The way I check is to water how I normally do, then dig into the soil(take care not to harm roots) and see how deep that moisture went. You don't want to see just the top couple of inches actually got wet.

If that happens, then either you aren't watering enough or your soil is not absorbing or both.

• lnewport
    12 years ago

Sheldon I live in Pflugerville. When did you plant your plants? February was still rather cold if I remember I couldn't put anything outside until March.

Tomatoes are rather cold sensitive but that may be moot point since it survived.

What kind of soil are you using in your raised garden bed and what are you fertilizing it with?

Also how deep is your raised garden bed?

• sheldon_in_austin
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks noobgardener2010 - I am new at this as well and it's always nice to hear others stories!

lnewport, let me see if I can answer these:
    Date planted: I looked at my journal and it's actually March 6th

Soil and Fertilizer: I just bought the 'organic' 'use for vegetable' stuff from Home Depot. Maybe that's my problem?

Bed depth: 6 inches, but not filled to the top, so maybe 4 or 5 above the regular dirt.

• lnewport
    12 years ago

Hey Sheldon,

What kind of soil is below that 6 inches? 6 inches isn't that deep but if the soil below is good then I wouldn't know why it would be a problem.

Out here in Pflugerville I have heavy clay soil and my raised garden is 12 inches deep.

• Donna
    12 years ago

I can tell you that last year I planted my tomatoes into cool soil and they just sat there for weeks doing nothing. Not dying, but not growing. I finally pulled them out and re-planted fresh plants when the soil was thoroughly warmed, and they took right off (same soil, same fertilizer, same everything). If you planted Tomatoes and Peppers in February (both cold sensitive), that's my guess.

• eyesofthewolf
    12 years ago

Sheldon in Austin, hey neighbor I'm north in Cedar Park. I started veggie gardening 4 years ago and did not get the hang of it until last year. I now have 11 raised beds and my tomatoes are at least 4 to 5 feet tall and the cucumbers are 8 or nine feet long just starting the cucumbers, the strawberries have already given the main crop and the peppers are bushed out and 2 to 3 feet tall I have already harvested 2 dozen peppers. Here in this area the clay soil is really hard on the plants trying to get roots in hard soil. I had to build my raised beds 16 inches tall and fill full of organic compost but before that I had to dig the earth up 6 inches and mix it with more organic compost and black cow composted manure. But one thing you posted is they get sun from 12 pm to 6 pm. That really isn't enough sun for the tomatoes and peppers you can get away with that for the strawberries but they may not produce as many or as sweet a berry. You also don't say how many of each plant you have. If you can do a test. Take one of the plants and carfully don't hurt the root system and transplant it in a large container (big holes in the bottom) with better draining soiless mix You will have to water everyday with our heat. Leave it in the same area of sun light if it grows then its your bed, if it stays little like the rest it the sun exposure. But there are so many unknown factors to us you will have to test out different methods. But don't give up, I was going to but things are starting to work for me. Keep reading everyones post on their problems and the more knowledgeable peoples advice. Happy growing. Deanna

• taz6122
    12 years ago

6 hours of Texas sun is enough for tomato and pepper plants. In fact when July and August comes around you will probably get more tomato production than others with more sun. Less light also doesn't make for small plants. Quite the opposite IME. They grow taller reaching for more light.
    I think your problem is the soil depth. You may be able to make it work by driving a rock bar or something similar deep into the ground around your plants to loosen the soil beneath the bed and if that doesn't work then you need to fertilize.
    You will also need good support having slightly leggy tomato plants.

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    12 years ago

This is a very common question on these boards.

Fertilize. And if the raised bed soil is touching the native soil, you must mix the two for drainage.

These are the most common problems with raised beds on this board.

Dan

• sheldon_in_austin
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks all, you've given me plenty of things to try.

I appreciate the help!

• dianacala14
    8 years ago

I live in Las Vegas NV I plant bell pepper, sweet chard, parsley. and basil and because here is 110 degrees i place the race boxes under the tree is sun but aliviated the direct sun wich will kill everything water in the morning and the around 7.30 evening and my plants don't grow still very small what do i do wrong?