Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
socks12345

Disappointed in turnips

socks
14 years ago

I harvested a few turnips today and was disappointed in the taste. They are purple top white globes and taste slightly bitter. Is that how they are supposed to taste?

I'm returning them to Mother Earth. :-)

Comments (9)

• farmerdilla
    14 years ago

Turnips are a fall/winter crop here. Some folks find a bitterness to most brassicas, I don't. But they are definitly not as sweet in warm weather.

• carolync1
    14 years ago

Purple top white globe turnips will taste strong and sometimes bitter in most of Zone 9 in May. Here in the Central Valley of California, they're planted commercially in September to mature in cool, but not freezing, fall weather.

I like the Purple Tops when well-grown. But I usually like much better the little sweet "summer turnips" in early spring or fall: Oasis, Hakeuri, White Lady. They also have sweet, hairless greens (with a tough midrib that should be removed). I find regular, hairy turnip greens palatable only after long simmering.

For later fall eating, try "Just Right" hybrid. Plant it at the same time as the little turnips. It's big, ugly, tender and sweet. It doesn't have a lot of usable bulb when young. Makes a big bunch of tall, sweet, hairless greens. Holds in the garden better in cold, wet weather than most turnips. It may be a cross between a true turnip and something else. I get my seed from Twilley, a firm which sells mostly to commercial growers. They and Stokes also sell White Lady. There are several sources for the other "summer turnips".

I also like the old-time sweet white turnip or rutabaga "Gilfeather", which has a harder, crisper texture than any of the turnips above. It keeps in storage. Plant with other fall turnips.

For earliest spring, try Tokyo Cross - very mild, but not as sweet as any of those named above. It can be harvested almost as soon as radishes.

• digdirt2
    14 years ago

Agree, they are a fall/winter crop or a very early early spring crop here as well. At those times some of the bitterness can be alleviated with consistent soil moisture levels.

Like most of their family they just won't tolerate heat.

Dave

• socks
    Original Author
    14 years ago

We just had a few days of 90-100 weather, so that may have contributed to the bitterness. Oh well, they are beautiful to look at. Thanks for the help. I'm learning.

• cyrus_gardner
    14 years ago

did you taste turnips raw?

We usually cook (boil) tunips and use them in chicken soups in the winter. Chicken soup with turnips is a good cold remedy.

Like other posters have pointed out, turnip like radishes are cool crop and like lots of water to be dense and juicy.
    Even in zone 7/8 spring planting is too short for radish family. Fall planting is best. They can survive light frosts but become drier as time goes on.

• carolync1
    14 years ago

Some of the small, mild turnips mature very quickly and can be managed in spring in many climates. And though not recommended for most root crops, they can even be started indoors and planted out in spring to allow them to mature in cool weather. You have to be devoted to do this, though.

• socks
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I planted March 1 and since our real heat does not begin until July, I thought it would work. Yes, I love raw turnips and rutabegas too.

• carolync1
    14 years ago

Bad luck with your heat wave. Better luck in the fall, and next spring. Catalog says you can start harvesting White Lady at 25 days.

• pepperdude
    14 years ago

Another way around the slight bitterness some mustard family plants have is in the cooking process. Look online for some recipies which use the turnips as a minor ingredient - say in a curry or in some sort of casserole. Sometimes that mustardy taste is just what's needed to balance the other flavors.

If they are very bitter though, better to toss and replant again later as others have said...