Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stev32k

Buds falling off bell pepper plants

stev32k
13 years ago

I have two bell pepper plants in 20 gal containers one red and one green. Both plants look healthy and are growing well. The leaves are a deep green and there does not appear to be any problems, but all the buds are falling off. The buds will flower out then instead of setting little peppers they drop off the plant.

I have two tomato plants in the same size containers using the same potting soil and they are loaded with tomatoes.

Any ideas what the problem could be?

Comments (10)

• stev32k
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I thought it might be a pollination problem so I used a small camel hair brush and dabbed around the stamens on several blooms, but they all fell off anyway. Maybe I needed to do it more than once?

• digdirt2
    13 years ago

It is called "Blossom Drop" - catchy name right? ;) I linked the FAQ on it below but you can find all sorts of info on it by using that as the search term.

Causes - "caused by the use of excess nitrogen fertilizers or dry windy conditions, but the most common cause is temperature extremes. Tomatoes, peppers and beans are especially picky about the air temps when it comes time to set fruit. If the night temps fall below 55 or rise above 75 or if the day temps are above 90, the pollen becomes tacky and non-viable. Pollination cannot occur. If the bloom isn't pollinated, the bloom dies and falls off."

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Blossom Drop FAQ

• stev32k
    Original Author
    13 years ago

We have had high wind, but it has not been dry (only about 2 miles from the Gulf of Mexico). The temps at night have been in the 60 - 72 F range. The daytime temps have not exceeded 83 so far. The tomato plants located close to the bell peppers are loaded with tomatoes and have not had a problem with blossom drop.

• digdirt2
    13 years ago

Then that leaves excess nitrogen fertilizer - had you fed them recently? Feeding before fruit set can cause blosson drop in peppers. Big bushy healthy looking plants with blossom drop usually means too much nitrogen. Feed after fruit set only.

Or the possibility of pests eg. thrips will cut off blooms. High humidity can play a role but if your tomatoes are still setting fruit the odds are against that being the cause.

Are the pepper plants located where the wind would affect them more than the tomatoes?

Any of these ring a bell?

Dave

• stev32k
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Excess nitrogen might be the cause. The potting soil I used (Jungle Growth) said it would feed plants for 4 months. The tomatoes seem to love it and all the plants are growing like crazy. Maybe it is too much for the peppers.

Anything I can do except wait?

• digdirt2
    13 years ago

Anything I can do except wait?

Not really. But the plants will adjust with a little time and in your zone with the warm days coming it shouldn't take them long to settle in.

Dave

• Yvonne Mcsporran
    6 years ago

Flowers falling of plant and changing from white to yellow other wise very healthy plant is it just water or you have to feed them thanks

• Yvonne Mcsporran
    6 years ago

Its a pepper plant

• Terry Ells
    last year

Same issue here in zone 8! Most hearty plants in my park...ONLY 1 pepper from 1 yr old Amazon bucket..says NON GMo..but, okra seeds from neighbor are Making well..could it b this is actually gmo issue?..other than failure to pollinate, no other listed possibilities apply?

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022