Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greendreamhome

What's wrong with this bell pepper?

greendreamhome
9 years ago

This is from a yellow bell pepper plant. What's going on? The brown area feels soft. There's another young pepper on that plant that looks fine. There aren't any holes or spots on the leaves of the plant.

Comments (9)

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

BER (Blossom End Rot). Same condition and causes as with tomatoes and all other fruiting plants.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: FAQ - BER

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    9 years ago

What Dave said. But, like in the FAQ, quick fixes are generally difficult.

However, google "smokemaster witch's brew." He swears by it. Just might be able to help in the short term.

Kevin

• greendreamhome
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kevin: When I search for "Smokemaster Witch's Brew" I get lots of links to post that say, "search for Smokemaster Witch's Brew"!

I found this here on Garden Web: "I just put an inch of lime powder in a cottage cheese container and fill it with white vinegar(5%). Don't tightly cap it or the top will pop off from the gas it puts out when it reacts. I add more vinegar as I use it up."

But how do you USE this mixture? Is it a liquid? Do you let it dry up into a powder again? In either case, what do you DO with it?

9 years ago

GreenDream: LOL. I have suggested it a few times.

Yes. A liquid at this point.

I'll explain further since I've made it before and how it was instructed to me by smokemaster. No need to be exact on measurements. Take about a cup of dolomite lime and put in a old plastic container with about 2 cups vinegar. Stir it. Let sit overnight until foam dissipates. The lime will settle to the bottom. Now add an oz or 2 OFTHE LIQUID to your normal water soluble ferts or to a gallon of water. Use as a soil drench. Not sure how often you'd want to use it but every couple weeks shouldn't hurt. I think he usually uses it for container plants since most people's soil usually doesn't have a problem with Ca shortage.

To make more, just add more vinegar to the original, as he emntions. My guess is the lime's probably spent when it starts to lose it's foaming capability.

Kevin

• Slimy_Okra
    9 years ago

^It's a calcium acetate solution. Eventually there should be almost no residue left.

Be warned that continuous use of this liquid will gradually raise the pH of your soil.

The most important thing, though, is to be consistent with your watering.

• greendreamhome
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kevin -- I didn't get any foam! I bought Dolomite Lime, and I used Heinz vinegar. It got a little bubbly, but that's all. It's sitting, uncovered, on my patio.

9 years ago

Bubbly, foamy...same thing. Give it another good stir, let settle and add an oz. or 2 of the liquid to water.

Funny though. Whenever I've done it, it's pretty violent when I add the vinegar.

Kevin

• greendreamhome
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kevin -- Was your lime a powder, or like little pebbles? I thought it would be a powder -- I even opened the box wearing goggles and a mask in case it puffed up into the air -- but it was like gravel. I was just reading the solid dolomite limestone won't bubble with vinegar, but powder will. And I think it has to bubble for the vinegar to change form.

9 years ago

Pebbles.

Kevin