Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

Is there anything deer won't eat?

2ajsmama
9 years ago

Setting up a high tunnel, just got huge pile of aged manure moved to center of area so that I can shovel it into beds after we get the baseboards all put together.

Have a patch on the ground where it's been sitting a couple of years, a few inches deep, it's off to the east side of the leveled pad, grassy area to east, woods still farther east so won't get a lot of AM sun, tunnel is good 12-13 ft away (we're putting up one this year and then in the future might need to bring a little more fill in to level the area more and put side-by-side or make into a multibay tunnel) so will get *some* afternoon sun.

Manure tested last year as "soil" with lots of OM, pH 6.2, Medium nitrate N, Low ammonium N, Very High everything else. Was covered with landscape fabric and only had a few weeds around the edges.

I don't want to fence this area, but thought as long as the residue of the pile was there, I might as well throw seeds or transplants in it. Tomatoes and peppers are going in the tunnel.

Any ideas on what to plant in that spot rather than just let the grass/weeds take it over? Maybe squash, pumpkins? Want something low, something the deer (and other critters) won't destroy.

Comments (11)

• glib
    9 years ago

In my case, I have had success with potatoes, turnip, garlic. This is probably due to much grass being around, and deer will prefer that. I have had no success with sunchokes and parsnip. Last year I had a few break ins, I could see that deer, given ample choice, will prefer beans, beet and chicory, but will try to stay away from brassica (that is why I planted turnip outside last year). This may be a local effect, the soil has no iodine and brassicas are goitrogenic. I am trying three eggplants plants this year, and turnip again. I am also trying horizontal fences, just to be sure.

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Garlic, onions, some of the bitter herbs, they never bother my squash except for young seedlings, and of course - meat or fish. Bury some fish in the pile.

Dave

• booberry85
    9 years ago

Surprisingly, I've never had them bother collards or kale. They won't eat oregano or mint (but will bed down in it), sage or thyme either. Just about everything else in my garden was decimated by bunnies or deer last year. I just started putting in a new fence (no fence last year).

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Too late for onions, maybe potatoes too though I still have a lot (storebought organic) sprouting in the basement. Too early for garlic - I'd like to get something going before the weeds. May try summer squash (always need more room for that) or pumpkins if you think they'll leave them alone.

I've got 3 oregano plants growing in concrete blocks, may start some mint in there but I'm afraid of it spreading if I just plant it in the ground. But what kind of "bitter" herb are you thinking Dave, can you give examples? Something that won't spread?

Is it too late for turnips? DH would like those. I know they'll go for beans (nibbled what grew outside the fence last year). 2 years ago they kicked my seed potatoes out of the ground so we fenced that area (where I put the beans last year). Don't know about kale - was thinking of starting some more for fall, already have some in house garden with the lettuce. And they do eat cabbage, so brassicas aren't necessarily safe.

Was thinking it was about time for sweet potatoes, if I can get the slips ASAP, but since the leaves are edible (not toxic like nightshades) will they just munch them to the ground? Do sweet potatoes need a trellis?

I can't do the fish repellent b/c of the bears and other predators that might start digging.

• Slimy_Okra
    9 years ago

Yes they will probably feast on sweet potatoes. No they don't need a trellis.
    Cabbage is probably the mildest of the brassicas, so I wouldn't rule them out.
    If you have extra transplants of any nightshades, put them there.

• glib
    9 years ago

of course it is not late for turnips. It may be a bit too early though. June is best.

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I thought turnips had to go early spring or late summer

• centexan254 zone 8 Temple, Tx
    9 years ago

I planted rosemary next to some plants in my Dad's yard last year. Plants that the deer would go for first were left alone that were within 3 to 4 feet of the rosemary. Also the tomatoes that were near marigolds were left alone as well. The area where my Dad lives is swarming in white tail deer. You can not drive non stop on the road to the house due to having to stop for them. While they are pretty animals. They will eat a garden, or flower bed roots, and all if they get the chance to.

• Natures_Nature
    9 years ago

You guys are funny! You want him to grow turnips to ward off the deer? Turnips are the hunters favorite seed, they even sell turnip seeds next to the hunting accesories. As far as burying fish to deter the deer, it might deter the deer, but it will attract raccoons and other rodents. I would not use any fish. My first year at gardening i put fish over my entire garden, the next day my entire garden was dug up! Please, save yourself the pain..

Dont plant turnips to deter deer, they will attract them.

Dont put fish in the garden, u less you are certain nothing will dig your plants up. Even fish emulsion, thats actually what i used. Unless your a gambler. You been warned.

Grow onions, garlic, marigolds where there are deer, they wont touch those! I even made a garlic spray(ferment garlic gloves in water), i used to go out nighlty to spray my plants so the deer dont get them overnight, it worked like a charm! The one day i forgot to spray, they were chewed!

Goodluck!

• glib
    9 years ago

hey, just reported results. Others have had parsnip untouched, but mine was gone.

• Prachi
    9 years ago

Garlic.. and onions...

just word of warning my deer love okra...

I use liquid fence with good results...

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor