Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Should I let pepper plants flower yet?

Posted by simplyoranges 9b (My Page) on
Fri, May 4, 12 at 17:07

My pepper plants are about 6-7 weeks old and they are only about 5-6" tall. For the last week or so they have started to grow 4 or 5 buds in the middle of the plant. I was just wondering if they are mature enough to produce fruit yet. They are pretty wide with nice big leaves and they are sturdy in the wind. I have them growing in a little raised bed I built with a few cubic feet of soil/compost. I gave them compost tea (with fish emulsion) a couple times and that has really seemed to help them produce nice large leaves, but they have yet to get much taller.

And just another quick unrelated question while I'm making this post. I am growing some beefsteak variety tomatoes that are about a couple feet tall now and have began to flower. A few of the flowers have been pollinated and have closed up. About when can I expect to see a tomato forming?

Photobucket

Thanks a bunch.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Should I let pepper plants flower yet?

• Posted by jolj 7b/8a-S.C.USA (My Page) on
    Fri, May 4, 12 at 18:49

I have never removed blooms from small plants of any kind. I have heard that straw berries should no bloom after transplanting for 3 months or so.
I have pepper plants that were plant 4 inches deep & are only 8 inches high & have very small fruit on them.

o

Peppers will ever-bear rather well without slowing down too much. You can pull a "ripe" pepper once the color starts to show and it will ripen fully on it's own.

I only remove flowers/peppers that hang so low the pods would drag the ground once they formed. It's not necessary to do that, but it's something I do.

o

Let them alone! Let them grow! LOL Nancy

o

I do agree with them. I never pluck or remove any flowers in my peppers. Better let the nature do it's course.

Adam

o

As for the tomatoes, you should probably be able to feel the tomato already forming...just lightly squeeze the base of the blossom.

o

I don't know if you're supposed to or not, but I had one that did that and I messed with it and the petals slid right off. I peeked inside it and there's a teeny little tomato already forming.

o

I pinch the first blossoms on the top of my peppers. I think that this promotes more blossoms overall.

o

Why not have some fun and do a little experiment this year?

Pinch the buds off of one of them and compare to the non-pinched plants. Keep records of total peppers produced and quality and size. Heck, some folks go so far as to cut the tops off their young pepper plants in hopes of promoting "better" pepper plants.

I like to do this with one of my tomato plants every year to see if I can get a big mater. I have limited success, but it's kinda fun.

o

Basically pepper plants have not been over-bred like grapes have been, they typically do not overset or set too early for the plant to handle, and in the off-times they do they just abort the fruit.

Pepper plants know what they're doing and won't over-exert themselves. They're safe to leave to their own devices.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here