Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Something is eating my pepper plants...holes in leaves..pics

Posted by minal 6 (ah0741@gmail.com) on
Sun, May 29, 11 at 17:33

Hello, I think something is eating my pepper plants and creating holes in them. Two of the plants were damaged at the stem. I think its slugs, but have not seen any yet.
I did spray some "liquid fence" around the plant a week ago to deter deer, not sure if this works on insects or not. It did rain though recently, so I will be spraying some more tonight.
Also my tomato plants are planted right next to them and they are fine. I also have another patch of pepper plants nearby and they are fine too.
Any thoughts on what this is and how to deal with it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Something is eating my pepper plants...holes in leaves..pics

Something has been eating our peppers as well. And our green beans, but leaving our peas and tomatoes alone. We had a problem with slugs but they seem to eat long lines in the leaves, and theese are holes. Planted one pepper this morning, in and out of the garden all day long and it has small holes in it already!!!!

o

Your posted pics are classic slug damage and wood chip mulch in the garden is notorious for them. Not sure what Perry means by "they seem to eat long lines in the leaves" unless he/she is referring to leaf miners.

Dave

o
RE: Slugs were eating pepper plants

Yes, they were slugs. I went to Lowes to buy some Sluggo, but the sales rep recommended a small plastic cup and some beer. Worked great. I dug a small hole, placed the plastic cup (it was actually a small plastic pot base (38 cents each from lowes). The cup was level with the ground, filled it will beer half way. The next morning there were tiny slugs floating in the beer. Just though of posting this solution, in case someone else had the same problem.

Minal

o

this is exactly how my pepper plants look. will try the beer thing tomorrow. i've also heard coffee grounds work, but i don't have any.

o

Coffee grounds don't work. Use a cheap beer like that swill they advertise every 4.3 seconds on TV, don't waste a good microbrew.

Dan

o

Had excellent results using this D E, but now of course this is important (you don't want to make dust fly and breath this stuff in) as it wouldn't be good for your lungs. I've used it around young corn plants that Cut Worms love to snip off at close to ground level. Now, once the corn plants get to around 3 inches tall then the cut worms can't get through the tougher stalks at this point, just birds want to pluck em next. As with respect to the Green Pepper plants you'll just have to keep using it and the slugs get cut up crawling through the Diatomaceous Earth, this stops them very well so they don't crawl up the plants an do all the damage.

Here's a link to article about D E.
http://www.ghorganics.com/DiatomaceousEarth.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Diatomaceous Earth

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here