Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lucillle

Ichiban eggplants

lucillle
10 years ago

I have Black Beauty eggplants but Home Depot has some of its larger vegetable containers on sale. I don't recall if I've grown them before, are they different enough in taste so it might be worthwhile getting one or two?

Comments (21)

• farmerdill
    10 years ago

I think so, but taste is always in the mouth of the taster. Asian eggplants and Ichiban is a good one are sweeter and more tender than Black Beauty.

• jimster
    10 years ago

Ichiban is an unusually arrtractive plant. The foliage has lots of purple.

The fruit of Ichiban is long and narrow, quite different from Black Beauty.

I can't give you a taste comparison. It's been too long since I've had either one. I think it would be worthwhile for you to grow a couple of Ichibans though to see for yourself. It is a favorite of several of my friends.

Jim.

• TheKitchenette
    10 years ago

Definitely add an Ichiban or two! Asian eggplants are less bitter and have far less seeds than the Black Beauty as far as I've seen. But like farmerdill said, it might be different for you...

• daninthedirt (USDA 9a, HZ9, CentTX, Sunset z30, Cfa)
    10 years ago

I started growing asian eggplants a few years ago, and I'm a convert. As noted, the seeds are inconspicuous, and the rind is tender and completely edible. No peeling needed. I find the smaller size more convenient, actually, than the regular eggplants. I've never had a growing problem with them. No pests or diseases. They just grow and, when it gets hot, they grow fast. I've never seen them even look stressed. When other plants are wilting a bit because they need water, the eggplants are straight up and proud.

I've never tried it, but someone once told me that asian eggplants were more successfully overwintered than regular eggplants. Yes, eggplants are formally perennials, like peppers. That's of some relevance in South Texas.

• barrie2m_(6a, central PA)
    10 years ago

I'll add to the recommendation to grow them. I grow many varieties to sell but in our busy schedule we find that we eat the Asian varieties far more often due to convenience. They are quick to slice into stir fry dishes without peeling or extended dicing. A quick favorite of mine is a combination of tender zucchini, asian eggplant, a Candy onion and a little oil to sautee- prep. time 10-15 min. including cooking.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

I am hooked to Ichiban too.. The only eggplant usuallly I grow. Few years ago I also planted ZEBRA , Hanse, Gretel. Zebra was productive but was not as tender and flavorfull. H&G did not produce much. But Ichibans continued producing to the end of season.

Just give each one a good stake so the fruit does not fall on the ground.

• lucillle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just in the nick of time. I went this morning, and Home Depot had marked those size pots down even further. There were only 3 Ichibans left and I bought them all. Seysonn, I have some 4 foot stakes, I will use those, thank you for the idea.

I forgot to mention that I had also put down some seeds for Black Beauty, besides the bought plants. I thought the slugs had got them all, but there are a few coming up. I am OK with that, I love eggplants.

• grandad_2003
    10 years ago

Concur with the above posters.. I also find Asian eggplants and Italian eggplants (like Rosita) to be far better in taste than Black Beauty. No salting required to mask/remove the bitterness. Black Beauty should be picked early before the seeds begin to form, otherwise it for me was somewhat bitter... unless they've improved it because it has been over 20 years since I last grew Black Beauty.

If you can't locate Ichiban then select Millionaire. It is a great replacement. Also, it has been a bit more productive than Ichiban IMO.

• lucillle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bmoser the recipe sounds delicious and I love onions too. Grandad, picking the Black Beauties, can you tell me a size? Can you pick an eggplant too early?

• grandad_2003
    10 years ago

Eggplants begin to lose their glossy sheen at the point when seed formation starts. Seed formation equates to bitterness in some varieties. So you want to pick the eggplant prior to this point. Picking earlier is OK but at the expense of size.

• Slimy_Okra
    10 years ago

Not only do I agree with the others that Asian eggplants are vastly superior to the big Italian types, I'm going to go a step further and say that once you go Asian, you don't go back. Of course the big ones are still useful where you need to stuff a large eggplant, but for any other recipe where you need eggplant chunks or slices, use an Asian one!

Not that all Italian eggplants are inferior. Rosa Bianca is an excellent heirloom Italian variety that rivals any Asian eggplant but its yields are poor.

I'm growing Millionaire, Hansel, Long Purple, Raveena (good flavor in moderate weather, bitter in hot or cold weather), Fairy Tale (another winner - excellent eggplant), Calliope (good yields, OK flavor) and Barbarella.

And yes, as grandad mentioned, you can pick eggplants at any immature stage. Unlike peppers that sometimes taste weird if picked too small, the young eggplant fruits are the best. If you want yield, let the fruit grow until it stops enlarging, then pick it immediately.

This post was edited by Slimy_Okra on Thu, May 23, 13 at 12:35

• newyorkrita
    10 years ago

I am so glad this post was here for me to read and learn about eggplant. My first year growing it and I have CLASSIC plants I bought at the nursery and been out in the garden. But after reading this I wished I had some of these mentioned here. Well, today I go to our local in town nursery and what do they have but Ichiban and Gretal. Gretal is white. I bought a plant of each! So excited as I have never eatten anything but the common grocery store bought purple eggplant. First year growing eggplant for me.

• cait1219
    10 years ago

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the picture for the Ichiban looks more like a black beauty....ichiban are long and skinny with purple stems.

• lucillle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You're right, good eye.

• brittanyw
    10 years ago

Which Asian and Italian eggplants are the most heat tolerant? I'm growing Black Beauty this year because I know other TX gardeners who do. I've heard Pingtung Long does--any other recommendations?

• farmerdill
    10 years ago

Just for the record.
    {{gwi:26580}} {{gwi:28106}}
    Current favorite {{gwi:57311}}

• newyorkrita
    10 years ago

Yes, the picture doesn;t look right.

• lucillle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nice pictures Farmerdill. Newyorkrita, I hope the picture is wrong and that you actually got the Ichiban you wanted.

• jimster
    10 years ago

I'm betting the plant is Ichiban and the picture is wrong. The actual plant has purple stems and veins, as Ichiban does. Stems and veins of Black Beauty are green.

Jim

• newyorkrita
    10 years ago

I think it is the right plant. Coloring is right and the plant tag description talks about the long slender fruits. They just goofed on the picture.

• newyorkrita
    10 years ago

Not a nice day here. Breezy and drizzel. But I got my new eggplants planted.