Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Extend the life span of a cucumber plant

Posted by pennypond z9CA (My Page) on
Mon, May 14, 12 at 17:53

My vining cucumbers always seem to only live a few glorious weeks. When it produces there is always more than we need everyday, but a few weeks later the leaves would turn yellow and the production would stop. I only want one or two a day, but would like the picking last for a few months. Is there any way to spread out the production? Pinching? Pruning?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Extend the life span of a cucumber plant

Keep the fruits picked when they come on and are eating size, even if you have to give them away. The vine will stop producing if the cukes are allowed to sit and ripen. Be vigilent about cuke beetles, they spread a disease and cut the plant's life short. That should do it.

o

calliope is right. From the plant's point of view it's lifespan is ended when it produces seeds. That is why gardeners deadhead flowers. If you keep a plant from producing seed it will keep on producing flowers to try to make seed. In your case it will make new flowers and new cucumbers. So pick those big ones and give them away or throw them in the compost and never let them start to turn yellow so the plant shuts down production

o

Thank you both, so glad to learn the problems. This year I only have 3 plants so daily picking should be more manageable. And I'll make some yellow sticky traps.

o

You can stagger the plantings. About the time the first plants are starting to produce, start new ones. If/when the old ones succumb to disease, you send in the subs.

o

Good luck with the cucumber beetles. They are my nemesis when it comes to cucumbers and squashes. I grow my cukes and squashes under cover now until flowering to delay the inevitable demise by a few weeks. If you have a successful and organic method of controling these agents of satan, I have a sack of money waiting for you!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here