Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mother and babies are doing fine.

Posted by donnabaskets 7b-8 MS (My Page) on
Fri, May 18, 12 at 18:26

I cut down a Red Cedar tree this week. I had impulsively bought a plum purple Japanese Magnolia and decided to put it where the Cedar was. (Cedar was badly encroaching on a path too). Anyway, I took my trusty little pruning saw out there and cut the tree down. Then, began to remove the limbs one by one. (Already have plans for the nice trunk in the garden, being rot resistant and all....my poor husband.)

Anyway, about halfway up, I found a nest with two baby birds inside it. I was just sick! And didn't know what to do. I moved the nest to another shrub and then put it back into the new little tree, but within an hour the nest fell out of the tree, dumping the babies on the ground.

Finally, out of desperation, I took the nest and put it into the trimmed limbs that I had piled up nearby in the woods. I couldn't bear to think of what would happen to the babies.... Finally, today, I went to check on them and found mama on the nest, with papa nearby.

Only gardeners would understand how happy this made me....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mother and babies are doing fine.

We did that once, my dad cut down a large, ugly, dying box elder in our front yard. Didn't know until after it came down, it had a nest of cedar waxwings with 4 babies just at the stage their eyes were opening. They survived the fall in the nest somehow, but the parents didn't seem to find them nearby.

So, we raised 4 cedar waxwing babies for another about 4 weeks, until they were fully fledged, eating on their own, and flying around our garage. It was actually an interesting experience (and technically illegal!). They thrived on a diet of berries from our bushes and insects we caught.

o

That is great! I actually considered giving it a try, but we are about to be out of town for ten days. I am so glad the Mama found them.

o

Didn't you mean to post this on the "Tree Felling and Baby Birds" forum? :)

Seriously, congrats on saving the family!
May they eat all your unwanted insects.

o

Donna, what a nice person you are!! It's wonderful to help the creatures we enjoy so much.

I'd like to share another animal rescue story. My friend covered her small peach tree with a net to keep birds out. The net touched the ground, and we noticed something tangled in the net on the ground. Closer inspection revealed it to be a gopher snake, horribly tangled, upside down, tightly twisted and curled every which way. He must have struggled for hours, but he was alive. We called the Fire Department, and they came and spent nearly 20 minutes cutting the snake out with a knife, so carefully, taking him away in a bucket to be released in a natural area.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here