Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
slretherford

What is wrong with my cayenne

slretherford
9 years ago

This is a purple cayenne pepper plant.. Over the past few days I have noticed that the lower leaves are turning yellow. What could be causing this? It was transplanted from a nursery on 4/13 and seemed to be doing okay until the past few days. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (11)

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Probably COOL temperatures and transplant adjustment.
    If not, could be that it needs some nutes.

• slretherford
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm assuming nutrient deprivation as it's been almost a month since transplant and I'm in SC and highs have been >90 the past few days with lows no less than 60. What nutrients could be missing to cause this?

• slretherford
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm assuming nutrient deprivation as it's been almost a month since transplant and I'm in SC and highs have been >90 the past few days with lows no less than 60. What nutrients could be missing to cause this?

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Some of my peppers look the same. I hear also it can be Magnesium deficiency. So yesterday I foliar sprayed them:

-- Half Table spoon of Epsom Salt per gallon of luke warm water. "LUKE WARM" to be taken better by the foliage. I just let the water warm up a bit in the sun.

I will be able to tell in a couple of days if it made a difference or not.

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

Best to ask over on Hot Pepper forum, but just wondering how large that plant is. The yellow leaves look very large, and I do see nice green new growth at the bottom as well as the top. Large yellow leaves could just be from age, though possible overwatering.

Soil looks very wet though you say it's been 90. Let it dry out a little until the green leaves are wilting a bit, then water in some nutes - not so much N, but higher on P and K for roots roots/blossoms. Looks like you already have some buds up top?

• sunnibel7 Md 7
    9 years ago

At a guess, from the picture and from my own plants that have looked like that in the past (every now and then), too much water. It looks like you have it planted right on top of a tomato and a melon? Those are likely to want more water than the pepper does and also will likely crowd it out. Maybe you could take it out still and give it its own large pot?

• slretherford
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It is very possible that I am overwatering.. Like I said I am new to this, and I have been watering every evening.. Not a torrential amount of water, the soil just looks that way and I think I had just watered
    When I took this picture.
    That is a tomato on the left and zucchini on the right, both of which are doing possibly the best out of everything (go figure) and you're very right probably will encroach upon this pepper's little 1 sqft of space

It isn't a very large plant.. 8in tall maybe.. It seems like none of my pepper plants have grown at all since I got them. They all just seem sad. Hopefully I can just let up on the watering and they will spring back.

Thank you all for your thoughts :)

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

How deep did you plant the tomato and pepper? I can see the zuke needing light watering every evening in 90 degree heat, they have shallow roots, but really is better off with a deep watering every few days (every other day if hot and dry, less often if rain, you have to learn the "read the leaves" - on all the plants).

I have no experience with SFG, but a tomato will send roots deep and can get pretty wide unless you're pruning, a zuke will take over the entire bed. They all have different watering needs so would do best in separate beds (zukes need lots, tomatoes moderate but consistent, and peppers like it to dry out between watering). Do you have more than the 1 bed?

• centexan254 zone 8 Temple, Tx
    9 years ago

I concur the guess at over watering. Try to water around it for a few days. Wait to water it until the leaves looked wilted in the morning. Then use some type of fertilizer like Miracle Grow Tomato. If the plant is in the ground then use the large side of the included spoon to mix it to one gallon of water. If it is a large container then use the small end of the spoon to mix it with one gallon of water. Then fertilize it every 7 to 10 days. It should start to green back up. The tomato, and zuke will do great with the same fertilizer. Just keep the fertilizer off of the leaves of the zuke plant.

• jean001a
    9 years ago

Need nitrogen.

• soraystud
    9 years ago

In agreement with the folks who mentioned overwatering. Peppers prefer an irregular deep watering rather than a shallow, daily watering.