Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Flowering onions?

Posted by allhaileris 8b (My Page) on
Wed, May 9, 12 at 18:32

I moved into our house in mid-March, and they already had onions and potatoes growing. I have no idea when they were planted. The onions are about to flower, and I thought I'd look it up and found out that because of our weird weather here this Spring (hot/cold/hot/cold) it faked out the plant and now wants to seed.

So, I'm allergic to onions...

I can either have DH pull these, dry them and give the small onions to friends (I haven't looked to see how big they are). OR, I can let them just flower away. Or both. I don't need the space right now, and am wondering if I should leave some to flower for the bees. They're kind of pretty plants, we have a housewarming party in less than two weeks and it would be nice to have them in the garden since everything else is so small or just sprouting.

And then there are the potatoes that are growing between the onions (and an odd one by the roses). I WANT those. I don't want to mess up their growing. They're not in little potato hills that I've seen you all talk about. And from what I've read, they won't be ready until the leaves start dying. Should I dig a little and check on them? I can take pics if needed.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Flowering onions?

The onions have bolted. They won't do anymore except produce seed. If you like the flowers leave them. If they still have green, they can still be used as green onions altho not the best quality. You can start using the new potatoes as soon as the vine start dying back. In a southern 8b that should already be happening. Mine are two thirds died back and I am already digging.

o

allhaileris, see if you can find out if the previous owners planted them this spring. If so, they should grow just fine with normal flavors. Worth checking if you can. They might not be volunteers.

o

Members of the onion family are bred as ornamental flowering plants. If you like them, keep them. But until you want them coming up everywhere, deadhead them before they set seed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here