Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
allhaileris

Flowering onions?

allhaileris
11 years ago

I moved into our house in mid-March, and they already had onions and potatoes growing. I have no idea when they were planted. The onions are about to flower, and I thought I'd look it up and found out that because of our weird weather here this Spring (hot/cold/hot/cold) it faked out the plant and now wants to seed.

So, I'm allergic to onions...

I can either have DH pull these, dry them and give the small onions to friends (I haven't looked to see how big they are). OR, I can let them just flower away. Or both. I don't need the space right now, and am wondering if I should leave some to flower for the bees. They're kind of pretty plants, we have a housewarming party in less than two weeks and it would be nice to have them in the garden since everything else is so small or just sprouting.

And then there are the potatoes that are growing between the onions (and an odd one by the roses). I WANT those. I don't want to mess up their growing. They're not in little potato hills that I've seen you all talk about. And from what I've read, they won't be ready until the leaves start dying. Should I dig a little and check on them? I can take pics if needed.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting