Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
siasia_gw

Weeds in my garden

siasia
9 years ago

Hello
I need an advice. I have so many weeds in my vegetable garden as well as flower beds that I don't know what to do with them. I attached couple pictures so you can see. I know what the problem is and where it came from but don't know how to resolve it.I need some advice. For all of our beds we used the dirt from the community and we mixed some good soil with it last year. After we planted all vegetables and flowers these terrible weeds started to come out. So last year we had so many weeds throughout the season everywhere. How can I fix that? Should I just take some soil out of the beds and put that weed control material and put good soil mixed with peat moss on top of it?? Would that work?? 'How much soil should I take out??

This post was edited by siasia on Sun, May 25, 14 at 18:59

Comments (7)

• theforgottenone1013 (SE MI zone 5b/6a)
    9 years ago

A hoe works wonders if you don't want to pull them. Mulching will also help. I wouldn't take out any soil or anything like that. Only makes more work and you'll never be weed free anyway (unless you go to the extreme of solarizing your soil, but then weeds will blow/fall back in anyway).

Rodney

• macers
    9 years ago

I would spend an afternoon pulling the weeds and then mulch heavily. This will keep down new weeds and help keep moisture in the soil.

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Unfortunately we all have to deal with weeds in the garden. It is all just a normal part of gardening.

A good garden hoe works wonders on them with a bit of effort. Most all those in your picture look like they could easily be pulled. In the spring, weeding the garden can sometimes be a daily chore but as the season continues, especially if you mulch your plants well, it becomes less work and they become much easier to control.

Dave

• galinas
    9 years ago

You don't need to take soil out. But you need to invest some time in the project. Take garden fork or shovel, and start digging through the soil. To make it easier, put a tub near one end of the bed, start digging one shovel in a time and throw soil in the tub. Remove all the weeds and their roots from the soil you throw. You only need to put in the tub the very first row you dig. For a second row and all others, you can place your soil in the already empty row before it (one shovel in a time!!!) and remove all the weeds and their roots from the soil you throw. When you dig, try to dig vertical, a shovel deep. If some of the weeds have long roots try to remove as much as you can. When you done with last row, you can put the soil from the tub in it and you will have freshly dug weed free bed. For now) Because if you didn't weed last summer and your weeds seeded, they will emerge again. The point is to remove them as soon as they appear, or at least before they start flowering. Keep in mind, even if you buy a weed free sterile soil, most of the weeds come with wind - you will have them anyway. So weeding or heavy mulching with non-fertile mulch or plactic (that I personally do not like in veggies beds) are only solutions.

• loribee2
    9 years ago

Pull as many as you can, plant your plants and/or seeds. Around your plantings, lay down newspaper 3-4 sheets thick then lay down some sort of mulch on top of that, watering it all good so it settles. I used a redwood mulch this year, but I've also used straw, shredded redwood, anything like that. You would probably help yourself if you also tried to keep the weeds down in the area around your beds, even if it's just a foot or so. Like others said, a good layer of mulch, especially over paper, should keep your bed relatively weed free all season. I put in the effort at the beginning of the year and am rewarded through the season with a pretty weed-free garden.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

There is no short cut here. Hoe or role up your sleeves and pull them. Then MULCH, MULCH, MULCH !

For me weeding is an ongoing ritual. But with good mulching you can cut it down. Around here pepper grass is worse. If you don't pull them on time their seed will be scattered all over. They can grow 3 crops a year.
    I mulch like "loribee" with pine nuggets. It looks also nice and decorative.

• mojogardener
    9 years ago

I'm with loribee, I get on my hands and knees in the spring and pull everything (tedious), plant, layer the newspaper, then mulch. Get a box and collect newspapers from friends, paper shopping bags are great but all the stores in my area went to plastic. Have a local newspaper? I went to mine and bought butt rolls with about 200' of paper on them for four dollars. I also use cardboard, especially between the rows, it's like ringing a dinner bell for worms, they love that stuff!!

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus