Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jessyoungs

Mystery squash!

JessYoungs
11 years ago

I feel awfully stupid for having to post on a gardening forum to figure out what the heck I have grown in my garden, but it matches nothing else that I planted, and Googling hasn't solved it yet.....

The squash varieties INTENTIONALLY planted were basic: zucchini, yellow crookneck, acorn, and butternut. All have produced appropriate fruits. Except one.

It's vining much like the butternut, but the fruit is dark green in color, with a narrower neck. The skin is actually almost identical to an acorn squash. I picked one that was approximatey the size of a softball, with a narrow 6-inch neck. I sliced it open, and the flesh resembles that of a butternut (creamy, pale orange) but with a much sweeter smell. Very, very sweet-smelling. I baked it, and the texture AFTER cooking seemed a bit more fibery, but I still couldn't place the flavor. Very tasty!

In other words, I'm stumped. I thought maybe it was just a freak squash....it happens. But I've since noticed several others on the same plant with the same shape and coloring.

Can anyone help me identify this guy?

(if I figure out how to post a photo, I will)

Comments (2)