Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mystery squash!

Posted by JessYoungs Central TX (My Page) on
Fri, May 11, 12 at 18:52

I feel awfully stupid for having to post on a gardening forum to figure out what the heck I have grown in my garden, but it matches nothing else that I planted, and Googling hasn't solved it yet.....

The squash varieties INTENTIONALLY planted were basic: zucchini, yellow crookneck, acorn, and butternut. All have produced appropriate fruits. Except one.

It's vining much like the butternut, but the fruit is dark green in color, with a narrower neck. The skin is actually almost identical to an acorn squash. I picked one that was approximatey the size of a softball, with a narrow 6-inch neck. I sliced it open, and the flesh resembles that of a butternut (creamy, pale orange) but with a much sweeter smell. Very, very sweet-smelling. I baked it, and the texture AFTER cooking seemed a bit more fibery, but I still couldn't place the flavor. Very tasty!

In other words, I'm stumped. I thought maybe it was just a freak squash....it happens. But I've since noticed several others on the same plant with the same shape and coloring.

Can anyone help me identify this guy?

(if I figure out how to post a photo, I will)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mystery squash!

With a picture it might be possible to ID it. But even then it could be impossible if it is the result of some weird cross pollinated seed - they do make it into seed packets now and them.

There are any number of posts and even a FAQ here on how to post pics that the search would pull up for you. Basically you just put the pics on one of the image hosting websites like photobucket or Flicker and then copy and paste the HTML URL they give you for it in your message here.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: How to post photo guidelines

o
RE: Mystery squash!

I've had some squash that sound just like that growing out of my compost for the past few years. I think they must have been some sort of cross but we have eaten a few (we also call them mystery squash) and I think they taste, and have a texture, like spaghetti squash.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here