Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Morning Sun Vs. Evening

Posted by GardenBlondeNeedHelp Sac CA (My Page) on
Fri, May 20, 11 at 19:02

I'm a newbie gardener(I prefer the eating as to the growing), so I'm a little lost. With my veggie garden I wanted to do a type of tallest-to-shortest arrangement with my plants. But I don't know if I should arrange the plants so most get morning sun or evening sun. (The tallest would shade some of the shortest one way or the other)

Oh, and I got corn, tomatoes, cantaloupe, cucumber, squash, cilantro, basil, various pepper plants and strawberry; and live in Sacramento if that helps...

Any ideas? Suggestions? Greatly appreciate it :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Morning Sun Vs. Evening

Your bad air quality is worse in the afternoon - which means a bit of extra haze blocking the blue end of the spectrum, so IMHO morning light is better. And shade during the heat of the day is good too.

Dan

o

Forget the cilantro in your area. Mine's already bolting in the Sonoma Co area!

o

Sacramento market gardeners manage to have cilantro at our farmer's markets every single month of the year, Nancy. I think it is just a matter of lots and lots of succession planting and harvesting it while it is still young. FWIW I have some that is just right for picking in my Sacramento garden right now, and some more that was seeded about 10 days ago. I'm planning on seeding more this coming week.

(ironically, its my basil that is flowering, not my cilantro...)

So no, don't expect to plant cilantro now to make salsa with your tomatoes in August. It will go to seed and all you'll have left to harvest are coriander seeds. If you want to have cilantro all summer, I *think* the secret is a large packet of seeds that you plant, little by little (I haven't actually tested my theory for the whole summer or asked the Asian market gardners what their secret is. Maybe they also use shade cloth, but I don't think so.)

As to the original question, yes, morning sun is better than afternoon sun.

o

Well, Lunita, you are much more attentive to your garden/herbs than I! LOL
I've tried it in shade, sun, partial of both and only had success with the winter/early spring planting.
My new herb garden is mostly pots, so maybe I'll try a few in the pots. It can't hurt! Nancy

o

I just really love cilantro, and it's something I buy every week at the farmer's market. Since the farmers I buy it from are from my own county I figure there's gotta be a way I can grow it all year long too!

o

Well, might as well give it a shot! I will too. Maybe I'll try planting a few each weekend. Nancy

o

Thank you all for your help :)

Morning sun it is

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here