Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Loose Leaf Cabbage

Posted by scarletdaisies 6 (My Page) on
Fri, May 20, 11 at 19:22

Hello,

First thanks for all the help last year, moved and in another garden spot, so far so good, but still early. I was hoping to grow a loose leaf cabbage, to pick just like lettuce. I've found a few and a nice heirloom variety is Nappa Cabbage, and some found on this website:

http://www.evergreenseeds.com/semchincab2.html

Which ones can easily be picked like greens, Kogane? Semi heading I would assume you can pick like greens? Does Pak Choy have the same taste as cabbage? I see it advertised as the same.

Any leaf cabbage recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Loose Leaf Cabbage

I am growing both pak choy and nappa. nappa is probably better for adding to salads raw and pak choy is probably better for some cooking or in soups & stir frys. both are excellent and fast and easy to grow.

You have to grow things to find out what you like. do not depend on other people to live your life.

o

Thanks, just wanted to be sure it was picked by leaf and not head. I'll try both, would like to make saur kraut this year, but don't now how well the cabbage will grow. Definitley don't want to wait for anything to head, the bugs will eat it by then I'm sure. LOL!

http://www.shopwiki.com/_Ferry~Morse-2034-Chinese-Cabbage-Seeds-Michihli-2.3-Gram-Packet?o=1102571112&s=3885

Ever heard of Michihli? Does it taste like cabbage?

o

Michihli is a variety of Chinese (Napa) cabbage. You don't make sauerkraut from Chinese cabbagel; you can, however, make Kim Chi, a similar but shorter process. Neither Pak Choi nor Napa cabbage are normally picked by leaf.

If you are having trouble with bugs on your cabbage, try row covers. They provide a barrier and work great.

o

Laceyvail is correct. Chinese cabbage is probably not good for sauerkraut. I checked out the url and web site. Other than Kogane, I think our local supermarkets here including safeway sell those chinese cabbages and bok choi. Is there anywhere local you can buy those and taste them first before you purhcase the seeds?

Wouldn't it be nice if we can taste all the things we grow before we plant?

o

It is your "picked by leaf" comment that is throwing me. Even all the varieties of Asian or Chinese cabbages are harvested by head not picked-by-leaf. They aren't "leafy greens" in the usual spinach, chard, leaf lettuce, etc. way.

As others have said they are not sauerkraut vegetables and most all of the Asian cabbages are considered much milder tasting, lacking the strong flavor associated with traditional head cabbage.

Dave

o

The ultimate loose leaf cabbage is the collard. It is simply a non- heading cabbage.

o

I tried Tronchuda last year from Pinetree Seeds - it did look a lot like collards, but it didn't do so well here - it was culled from this year's garden. I'm in GA and it gets pretty hot, not sure if that was a factor. It's also called Portugese Kale.

Here's the link:

Here is a link that might be useful: #6501 TRONCHUDA CABBAGE

o

Savoy cabbage is worth checking out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here