Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question: Radish seedlings have long stems?

Posted by kanuk Zone5 QC (My Page) on
Sun, May 10, 09 at 19:22

This is my first time growing radishes(vegetables in general).
I'm not familiar with the plant growth habit of the radish therefore my question is ...
Is it normal that radish have long red stems or should I pile these stems with earth?
The varieties displaying this growth are French Breakfast & Cherry Belle. They are at true leaf stage and appear to be extremely healthy. The stems are red in colour right now (radish colour). The foliage is above the ground surface at about 1.5" at the ends of these red stems like little palm trees in effect. They are not flopping.

Are they displaying legginess or is this normal growth? Are they needing more light/fertilizer? Should I bury these stems by piling earth up around them?

Any advice would be appreciated & "thanks" in advance.
KanuK

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question: Radish seedlings have long stems?

The reddish stem is normal. Garden veggies need at least 6 hrs. of direct sun light a day. Fertilizing only if you see "yellowing/pale greening" of the leaves. No need to pile up earth.

o

the stem in ground starts to thicken up, I thought the same as you a couple of weeks ago, but they are doing okay now, shame I hate them! I only grow them due to impatients, they come along and I can believe that the rest of the veg is on its way!

o

• Posted by kanuk Zone5 QC (My Page) on
    Sun, May 10, 09 at 23:14

Thanks perzold6596 & heather38!
I'm glad to know that things are progressing as they should...
I'll just sit back and relax!!
Cheers!

o

I am growing those exact same varieties this year...

One other thing to mention (and I agree with both the other posters), if you over seeded and there are more than one stem per inch and half (or so) then you should thin them out a bit.

Steve

o

• Posted by kanuk Zone5 QC (My Page) on
    Mon, May 11, 09 at 8:40

Thanks for adding your advice Steve. I've tried to be very meticulous when seeding all my vegetables but spacing can sometimes get a bit out of my control because of small seeds, wind, sore back!!! I'll be sure to thin out as you mention.
I'm so anxious to actually pull a 'real radish' out of my garden I can't begin to tell you!! lol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here