Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tracydr

Alternative cover crops for hot summer

tracydr
9 years ago

Just wondering if anybody grows amaranth, okra or hyacinth beans as a cover crop in extreme hot summer conditions? The speed that my plants are growing and the amount of plant matter they are developing just amazes me. Plus, I find hyacinth bean and amaranth very beautiful to look at, although I've yet to taste either of them. And okra, its so pretty and so delicious. Last time I grew okra, I had to cut it off at the base of it's trunk and I shredded the stalk/leaves in the chipper. It went until first freeze and never really did die. Same with amaranth. I now have both in a more desirable part of the garden and I can't get over the size of the amaranth.
The hyacinth bean is a bit invasive with our mild winters and all the beans it drops. But, it would be very easy to kill it before the beans dried and fell off.
I've seen a study on them used in AZ as a field cover crop for summer but I've never seen anything about amaranth or okra.
It's hard to get anything here to live through summer, much less thrive. Summer is often the only time I would have to even put in a cover crop since it's my least productive garden season.
Just curious if anybody has tried these ideas?

Comments (7)