Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Alternative cover crops for hot summer

Posted by tracydr 9b (My Page) on
Sat, May 24, 14 at 19:52

Just wondering if anybody grows amaranth, okra or hyacinth beans as a cover crop in extreme hot summer conditions? The speed that my plants are growing and the amount of plant matter they are developing just amazes me. Plus, I find hyacinth bean and amaranth very beautiful to look at, although I've yet to taste either of them. And okra, its so pretty and so delicious. Last time I grew okra, I had to cut it off at the base of it's trunk and I shredded the stalk/leaves in the chipper. It went until first freeze and never really did die. Same with amaranth. I now have both in a more desirable part of the garden and I can't get over the size of the amaranth.
The hyacinth bean is a bit invasive with our mild winters and all the beans it drops. But, it would be very easy to kill it before the beans dried and fell off.
I've seen a study on them used in AZ as a field cover crop for summer but I've never seen anything about amaranth or okra.
It's hard to get anything here to live through summer, much less thrive. Summer is often the only time I would have to even put in a cover crop since it's my least productive garden season.
Just curious if anybody has tried these ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Alternative cover crops for hot summer

I guess I'd go with okra in your zone. Why not have a crop you can eat and enjoy?
I don't like amaranth because if you let it go to seed, you're in trouble.

o

Actually, I've also had okra and hyacinth bean self seed. But, all, including amaranth do great in the heat. Just have to chop down before it reseeds.
I haven't eaten amaranth yet because we have so much chard. Will have to try the greens this summer.
We're moving to NC in July. Will have to try amaranth grain next year.
I have 4 rows of okra. I love it but not hubby. I'll probably pickle a bunch and give a bunch to my family before we move.

o

When I gardened in 7b my favorite summer cover was purple hull crowder peas mixed with orange sulphur cosmos. They looked great together, and the beneficial insects loved them.

o

I agree with purple hull crowders - or any field pea. You might try sunn hemp, which is also nitrogen fixing. Okra encourages nematodes.

o

Spinach is very fresh for vegetable. I am very happy to consume spinach. How to plant is too easy. In the summer, we need to make a cover on it like using the plastic on top and spinach are often splashed with water.

Here is a link that might be useful: vegetable gardening

o

When I was in a hotter climate I used Cow Peas as a summer cover crop. They shade the soil, smother weeds and the pods are excellent. Seed is also much cheaper than Okra.

-Mark

o

Hairy indigo and velvet bean are good hot weather smothering crops for 9b, both do well for me in fla.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here