Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What would make basil seedlings not grow?

Posted by elisa_Z5 none (My Page) on
Fri, May 2, 14 at 19:53

I'm confused. My basil seedlings came up and then stopped growing. They've been the size of the head of a nail for weeks, even though they seem to be alive.

The specs:
I used pro-mix with 1/10 worm casings (the pro-mix is what I normally use for sunflower sprouts in the winter -- not for seedlings, but it was all I had on hand).
They've spent some time under lights, some in sunny window, some on sunny porch.
THey've been warm.
They've traveled to 3 states, but all my seedlings do that every year.
Also, the seeds were old (2010 and 2011) and germination was extremely low.

Should I just start over with some good potting mix and toss these?
Also, if anyone can tell me why this may have happened, maybe I can avoid it next year. I may have to end up buying a dozen basil plants because the pesto must be made!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What would make basil seedlings not grow?

Sweet basils always take a long time to get going after sprouting for me.

o

It sounds like you have plenty of experience with basil. My most basic experience is that it likes really warm soil.

o

As long as they are green (not yellowing), that is fine. Basils do not grow real fast at first. I have a flatfull of them right now. They have just the seed leave for over one week so far.

o

Well that's encouraging. So, patience, huh? I do still have a month before they'll go in.
Thanks!

o

I will echo the point about warm soil. Basil likes warm soil. In fact, it won't even germinate with soil temps much below 70F. I always start my basil indoors under lights. They don't go outside until the low temps are in the 50s and 60s. I suspect exposure to cooler temps will shut them down for a while.

o

Its been said twice already but - temperature makes a huge difference with Basil. Last year I had basil growing under lights in my grow room, some on the top shelf where it is at 70-75 degrees, and some on the bottom shelf where it is closer to 55-60. There was an amazing difference in growth rate.

o

Basil is a heavy feeder and also prefers bright sun and heat. I mean, it's one of the few garden plants that I can count on through the summer in the extreme, Phoenix summer heat.

o

To make matters worse the conditions which slow the basil growth also favor many basil diseases. That is my main reason for only early starting disease resistant varieties like Nufar, Emily or Genoveser. Also use a potting mix with biofungicide if possible as added insurance and then you still need to keep young seedlings warmer than most other crops. Temps dipping into the mid 40s often leeds to "Tanning" of the leaves; low of <40F could blacken the plants.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here