Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
happyhillfarm

Pepper problems - leaves

Happy Hill Farm
9 years ago

I transplanted my pepper plants (different varieties) a week ago. They got a bit bigger than I wanted to before transplanting but they seemed to be fine. They have been under polyspun covers to protect from the wind. The covers come off on not so windy days. We have had lows in the 50s and highs from 60 to 80.

I first noticed lower leaves turning pale and curling upwards. Today I noticed the dark spots on the top of the leaves. I have not been able to figure out if it is too much water or enough, or fertilizer issues. Any ideas?

Comments (11)

• jean001a
    9 years ago

Environmental stress. perhaps high light and winds.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

I would have said "COOL" weather. But your temps look ok. In this case it is probably nutrients deficiency. Looks like Phosphorus deficiency. Have you been fertilizing them ? what kind of fertilizer you are using ? Does it have "S"ulfur and Magnesium ? Epsom salt can provide both of those. Have you heard the "match trick" ?
    Just throwing 0.02 in the hat.

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    9 years ago

Is that CLEAR plastic? Do you use it every year with no problems? Looks awfully reflective. I'd go with jean001's assessment. Did you spray anything recently also?

Kevin

• Happy Hill Farm
    Original Author
    9 years ago

soil test in late winter revealed low phosphorus. I used recommended 2-4-0 fish/kelp fertilizer in liquid form through drip tape when transplanting. The only other deficiency noted was Boron, but I have been afraid to add any. I did add purchased compost when transplanting as well. The soil has a lot of clay and the field was previously in second year of commercial tomato four year rotation (last had soybeans, fallow over winter, rototilled this spring). I do have a wind problem and have kept covers over the peppers when needed.

• centexan254 zone 8 Temple, Tx
    9 years ago

Since they were covered my guess is sun burn. I would keep them watered when needed, and fertilize with a liquid fertilizer as per label directions indicate.

• purpldoll6x
    9 years ago

Should I separate the two plants growing in the nursery pot? I will be using 5 gallon buckets and want to know if I should only put one plant in each bucket.

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    9 years ago

purpldoll6x: Yes, separate. Do you know how?

Btw, I see those are bells. From my experiences, I don't think large fruited annuums like bells do well in smallish containers. I've done pretty good with chinense varieties in 5 gal, but my Anaheims et al don't do as well. They're fine for 1 flush of fruit. After that, the fruit suffer. I'm switching to 10 and 15 gal for those varieties.

Kevin

• kathyb912_in (5a/5b, Central IN)
    9 years ago

purpldoll6x - Agree that you should separate, and I think you should give the 5 gallon buckets a shot with one plant per. I grew a couple Carmen peppers in 3.5 gallon containers last year and they far out-produced those planted in the garden bed. Your Orange Bells may perform differently, but if you've already bought the containers and the plant(s), I say go for it. Then take good notes and decide if you need to make changes next year. Good luck!

• purpldoll6x
    9 years ago

Thanks so much woohooman and Kathyb. I'm not sure how to separate them but I will research it first. I'll cross my fingers and take notes.

• ceth_k
    9 years ago

Please do not hijack the thread. The leaves look dead between the veins . I would think it is K deficient.

• Happy Hill Farm
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Update: the peppers from my original post responded well to warmer weather. Fertilized with 2-3-0. Plant growth appear somewhat stunted but they are now fruiting.

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living