Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! What is happening to my tomato plant leaves?

Posted by KerenR 7 (My Page) on
Sat, May 5, 12 at 20:07

Can someone please help me figure out why the bottom leaves on my tomato plants are curling? The rest of the plants look healthy, but the bottom leaves on almost all of them are curling up. If you copy and paste the link below you will see a picture of them:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151670238925584&set=a.10150537754820584.652560.609995583&type=1&theater

Thank you so much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! What is happening to my tomato plant leaves?

It is called 'tomato leaf roll' and you can find lots of info about it over on the Growing Tomatoes forum here or by Googling that term.

Basically it is a physiological response of the plant to stress but poses to real threat to the plant over all. Once the source of the stress goes away so does the condition.

The causes of stress can be as simple as the fact that it is young and growing or as complicated as poor soil drainage problems, excess nitrogen fertilizer, too much or too little water, etc. It is fairly common in early spring with young plants exposed to spring weather extremes. Your plant appears to be rather leggy which makes me question if it is getting enough sun and it could also use some mulch to help stabilize the soil moisture levels.

Dave

o

I have the same thing on my plants due primarily (I think) from the 7.7 inches of rain in March. Lots of cool, cloudy weather also. Anyway, the plants have recovered nicely and I have a big crop of tomatoes coming on. Just not very pretty to look at!

o

Yeah, its just leaf roll, its harmless. Usually its from too big of a temperature swing (got a little too cold at night after being a little too warm during the day).

It doesn't cause any actual harm beyond looking bad, so don't worry about it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here