Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
should I cut back this kale?

Posted by edud 5b, Ontario (My Page) on
Thu, May 8, 14 at 20:11

I was excited to see leaves start to form on the Darkibor kale that I overwintered last year, especially given the harsh winter we had here. This is my first year growing it.

However, I didn't do any maintenance on the plants (or mulch them) in the fall and much foliage died on the stem - you can see that some of the stem died as well. I've seen mixed reviews about cutting back and wasn't sure whether I should venture it (either now or in the fall).

I did find this one blog where the gardener posts some chopped off stems that show great new growth: http://therustedgarden.blogspot.ca/2012/03/kale-over-wintered-cut-back-and.html

If anyone has experience with this your advice would be appreciated. If I can't figure out what to do, there are 2 plants so I could try cutting one and leave the other.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: should I cut back this kale?

Cut off the dead stem parts that show no new growth if you want. It's not required as the new growth will grow ok either way. I'm assuming you want the kale to eat? Or is it that you want the spot for something else?

Dave

o

You're right, I would like to eat the kale - just the remaining stem is quite long and being damaged already, I'd rather tidy it up if I could. thanks!

o

Yes, cut it down to where the new growth starts.
You'll get lots of nice kale from those new tiny leaves.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here