Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is best corn fertilizer?

Posted by sheriberrie 8a (biterosie@yahoo.com) on
Sat, May 16, 09 at 20:12

My poor corn. It is not as dark green as all the other corn I see. I have a feeling it needs more nitrogen. It is about 1 foot tall now and planted in sandy soil. What do you think I should do.

1. Go get a bag of composted cow manure and sprinkle around corn.
2. Put some of my alfalfa tea on them.
3. Go get some ucky chemical 10/10/10 and put on them
4. All of the above

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is best corn fertilizer?

You have a couple more options if you want nitrogen, without "yucky Chemicals" Composted chicken manure, Blood meal, fish meal. Personnaly I don't worry much about color as the long as the plants are making good progress. When I need it I use triple 10, or triple 13, sometimes nitrate of soda.

o

Blood meal is my choice. But take it easy...a little goes a long way, very light side dressing is all it takes, water in well.

o

Corn love 10-10-10. Heavy feeder. Short of that, lots of poop.

o

This will not be a popular answer, but urine. Shall I say urea just to be polite?
I have not had success with corn for other reasons, but I would think that compost and extra nitrogen would be sufficient.
This year, I am interplanting with beans, hoping that will give them the nitrogen they need.

Good luck.

o

• Posted by anney Georgia 8 (My Page) on
    Sun, May 17, 09 at 5:23

Yes, once the corn has been planted with an all-round fertilizer, its next fertilizations can be nitrogen. Corn is essentially a grass or grain and has the same nitrogen needs.

I use a light application of blood meal when the corn is about knee-high and again just as the ears are forming. Others may not fertilize as often and the corn does fine, too.

o

I agree with everyone else - nitrogen. Some things higher in nitrogen than cow manure that haven't been mentioned yet are cottonseed meal, turkey compost & fish emulsion (or was fish mentioned?). Turkey compost is what I'm using this year for extra N - easy to spread, makes a good mulch & lasts a long time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here