Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
garden in

Posted by plumberroy z5 wc ohio (My Page) on
Sun, May 13, 12 at 20:29

After a late start preparing the soil do to a tiller breakdown. This week I went down and picked up a Grillo walking tractor and tiller attachment I got quite a bit tilled monday and some stuff planted then . Monday late it rained again, Saturnday I got my tilling done and finish my planting. It took me forever to find sweet potato plants.
All ready planted earlier was
5 cabbage plants
8 romaine lettuce
4 broccoli
1 tomato
planted Monday
1/2 row potatoes
2 rows of assorted colors of acorns squash
planted yesterday
4 rows of royal burgandy beans
4 hills of assorted colors of scalloped summer squash
1/2 row of lakota squash
1/2 row of speckled hound winter squash
2 hills of con. field pumpkins
3 hills of red warty thing pumpkin
9 sweet potatoes
These rows are 27 foot long
in a new area I planted
8 tomatoes
8 green peppers
15 foot row of onions
we planted a 15 foot row of cucumbers along a fence
We make pickles and can a few tomatoes and freeze any extra beans
I just like to grow winter squash and the rest are table veggies
It started raining after dark last night so we are wet again

I don't think I would have got it all done with out the new walking tractor and tiller It is head and shoulders above any other tiller I have ever used

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: garden in

Hi Roy
You said you like to grow winter squash. I seldom think about them. Could you tell me how you store them, and if it works. Also, how do you often use them. It never crosses my mind to eat them but would like to give it a try. Also, what are you doing with the pumpkins and can you use the red warty ones for anything but looks?

o

Sounds like you'll have a lovely harvest in the coming months. I think the walking tractors are so interesting, but we already have the JD. Cheers!

o

Lots of work but you sure do have a great vegeatable garden.

o

I store the squash in a cool dark area. I have never grew the red warty thing before but it is a winter squash pumpkins are for the grand daughter I threw the last two I had away last week they were small and finally starting to get soft. We ate a couple a week before that. We eather bake them with butter and brown sugar or make soup

o

I had to cut the last message short. Depending on the squash it can last up to 6 months . For where I live a walking tractor will serve my needs better than a 4 wheel tractor I converted my trailer for the riding mower to pull behind the walking tractor and ride on tonight . by the middle of june mower decks will be back in stock and I will mow with it too. I plan on getting a shredder/chipper in a year or two. I'm on 1/2 acre 1800+ sq ft of garden grape vines, apple,pear and peach trees and blackberries. My current craftsman garden tractor is to big plus it takes up to much room in the garage.
Winter squash soup :
In a small crock pot
peel seed and cube winter squash of your choice Enough to fill pot (I use a 2 1/2 qt pot)
add a couple table spoons of butter
a sage leaf
a small onion chopped fine
a clove of garlic chopped fine
slow cook till squash is soft
remove sage leaf using a hand blender blend up squash adding chicken broth till you get the consistancy of potato soup
salt pepper to taste
add mini cubes of ham cook enough to warm ham
serve with a white shredded cheese
Roy

o

Thanks Roy. Just what I was looking for. I guess I will have to plant a few more winter squash. I usually just work with sumer squash.

o

I was at lowes yesterday and found giant cabbage plants. reason to till some more :) planted 4 of the cabbage and 2 cantolupe plants good thing I don't have 4-5 acres :0
Roy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here