Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kookycuke

Pesticide Question

kookyCUKE
10 years ago

Hello all new here and to gardening in general. Quick question. I use organicide pesticide spray about once every two weeks on my veggies. Could this be the reason for some of my flower die off on my peppers and tomatoes?

Thanks

Comments (3)

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

It could be a contributing cause because you are killing beneficial insects/potential pollinators as well as pests with such frequent use. Can I ask what pest problems you have that requires such frequent and regular use? Organic pesticides can be over-used and abused just as much as chemical pesticides can be.

But since both tomatoes and peppers are primarily self and wind pollinated and only benefit from insect pollinators secondarily the primary cause of what is called 'blossom drop' is air temps, humidity, and high nitrogen fertilizers.

From the FAQ here:

caused by the use of excess nitrogen fertilizers or dry windy conditions, but the most common cause is temperature extremes. Tomatoes, peppers and beans are especially picky about the air temps when it comes time to set fruit. If the night temps fall below 55 or rise above 75 or if the day temps are above 90, the pollen becomes tacky and non-viable. Pollination cannot occur. If the bloom isn't pollinated, the bloom dies and falls off.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Blossom Drop FAQ

• kookyCUKE
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I used it for my squash because they were being hit pretty hard with critters eating up the leaves so I figured it wouldn't hurt everything else. Perhaps I was wrong. Lows are 72 and highs are 85 and its overall mildly humid. A storm is coming this weekend, so maybe the barometric pressure is causing this issue. Fertilizer wise I have not used anything since I transplanted, besides my fish food fertilizer on day one.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

The general guidelines for pesticides are

(1) use them only when actual pests are present AND doing actual damage.

(2) to work they have to come into contact with the bug. They are preventatives so you can't use them to try to prevent pests from coming to the garden.

(3) first identify the pest and then use a pesticide that is specific for that pest.

(4) always follow the label directions when it comes to mix rates, application frequency, and time of day for application.

(5) know your pesticide, what it works on and what it is made of.

When these guidelines aren't followed then far more beneficial insects are killed than pests. Numerous studies show that as much as 95% of the "bugs" (insects) in the average garden are either beneficial insects or what are called "neutrals" that do no damage.

Squash has 2 primary pests - squash vine borers and squash bugs. Organocide doesn't list either of them on its label for use. So what pest issue were you having with the squash?

It lists only:

Citrus rust mites
    Spider mites
    Armored and soft scales
    Mealy bugs
    White-flies
    Aphids
    Leaf-rollers
    Leaf miner
    Fungus gnats
    Thrips
    Sago Palm Scale
    Glassy Winged Sharpshooters

Organocide is and oil-based spray (97% oil and 3% emulsifiers) so when applied to the pepper and tomato blooms the oil can coat the reproductive parts of the bloom and gum up the pollen and prevent pollination from happening.

92% of the oil in Organocide is fish oil which is very high in nitrogen. So given your weather conditions the odds are that the primary cause of your problems with blossom drop is all the unnecessary spraying you have been doing.

Hope all this helps you resolve the issues.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Organocide Pesticide

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner