Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennieboyer

What kind of squash?

jennieboyer
11 years ago

Can anyone help me identify this squash? It is smooth with no ridges. Trying to figure out what type and how to know when it will be ripe. Thanks!

http://paperclipplus.com/app/getit/8dee03fd9e2511e1949c9345a82a1b02

Comments (15)

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Your link is to a private album that requires a password to access. You will need to make it a public album and/or provide the HTML link directly to the picture.

Dave

• jennieboyer
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Dave - thanks for responding. I thought it was a public album - I granted access to "everyone" but have never done this before.

Can anyone tell me how to do this so I can get the picture public or provide the HTML?

Thanks!

Jennie

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Not familiar with that particular site but would be suspicious of any that require viewers to log in before viewing what is supposed to be a public album.

Somewhere on their site should be an Option you can check to allow other to see your photos but right now only you can look for that option.

As to the code, most photo sites will give you a choice of 3-4 different URL codes attached to each picture to choose from. You can copy and paste one of those codes into your message here. The HTML code that works best here (puts the pic right in you message for all to see) is the one that begins with There is a FAQ here and lots of discussions about how to enter pics that the search will pull up for you.

Dave

• jennieboyer
    Original Author
    11 years ago

OK, let's try this :-)

{{gwi:59525}}

• farmerdill
    11 years ago

Have no idea but appears to be a winter squash. If it vines you can be reasonably sure that it is. Most summer squash are bush types. Winter squash are used when ripe. Usually just leave them on the vine until it starts to die. If one is in a hurry, when the rind becomes too hard to cut with a fingernail. Squash are prolific cross breeders so odds are it it a mixed type.

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Agree that it is most likely some sort of cross breed. What was the source of the seed/plant?

Dave

• jennieboyer
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow - that picture is BIG - sorry about that! I think it probably is a spaghetti squash now that I have been pointed in the right direction. The seed was from a "variety pack" of squash seeds I bought at Lowe's. From the pack, I also have acorn squash, so clearly I planted winter squash. First year doing this, so learning A LOT!

Thanks everyone for your help!

• Donna
    11 years ago

Ah yes, the variety pack. Over the years I have learned to hate those, vegetables and flowers. You never know what you'll get, but it always seems that the one variety that is least desirable is the one that is most highly represented in the package. And the only way to be sure you get some of everything in the package is to plant the entire package. Ugh.

• carolync1
    11 years ago

Maybe this will help you narrow the possibilities down some. Most summer squashes are C. pepo. Winter squashes can be any of 3 species below (plus one other, not too popular). If you thing your squash looks like a possible candidate for summer use, try cooking a small one to see what it is like.

Here is a link that might be useful: differentiating squash species

• fontanka117
    11 years ago

This looks like a grey zucchini. Quite tasty. I pick them when they are a bit smaller.

• royceag
    11 years ago

It does resemble a spaghetti squash apart from the color. When immature, they are usually off-white, later becoming yellow. It looks like a mutant zucchini-spaghetti squash-hehe! I'd be inclined to treat it as a winter squash and let it ripen/cure. If you have several, harvest 1 when little and try it. I'm curious to see the inside- is it zucchini or spaghetti-like? Post photos if possible. Good luck!

• pennypond USDA 10 Sunset 21 CA
    11 years ago

I tried to attach the google image search result using key word "shark fin squash" in Chinese, because I see most of them look very much like your picture. But GW didn't allow the attachment:( The Chinese websites I've visited say that the variety was developed in the US and was recently brought to Asia; spaghetti squash, cucurbitaceae var medullosa, cucurbita ficifolia, black-seeded gourd, and fig-leaf gourd were the names mentioned.
    I believe the name "shark fin squash (gourd or melon)" is because when cooked it can be shredded to look like shark fin. With such an expensive sounding name it's quickly gaining popularity in the Chinese community. People say the good thing is it doesn't have any special taste so when cooked in soup it behaves like shark fin absorbing flavors of others, and it has low calory with high fiber so is healthy so often is used in cold dishes.
    You have piqued my interest, thank you. Now I need to find some seeds to grow. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: shark fin gourd image

• jennieboyer
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is a picture of the inside of the squash - let me tell you, it was extremely difficult to cut this baby open - actually ended up just prying it open!

• royceag
    11 years ago

Well, I'd say that looks slightly spaghetti-ish inside... Maybe more so after it's cured? Maybe a smooth skinned delicata or banana squash? Sorry I can't be more definitive. Certainly winter squash- so not enormous zucchini. Hope it tastes yummy- perhaps it'll be your new fav!

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting