Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shawnalynn3

how much do you grow and of what?

shawnalynn3
11 years ago

This is my first year gardening and I almost have everything in the ground. I get different reactions from different people about how much Im growing. Some say way to much and others grow more. I want to have extras of everything to can and pickle. I have 3 adults and 3 kids living here (my mom staying with us) Also I have this fear that nothing will produce so I tried to plant a little more of some things. Anyways here what I have so far.

-30 tomato plants- lots of dif varieties

-16 eggplants

-7 watermelon plants sofar

-1 cantelope

-20 pepper plants most bell but a few hot pepps

-15 corn (my husband wanted me to try em)

-16 cucumber plants

-16 zuchini plants -3 dif varieties

-6' row of kale

-6' row lettuce

-6' row rainbow chard

-6' row fennel

-some carrots

-a cute raspberry bush that wont produce this year im sure

-a crap ton of herbs

-15 pole bean plants

Comments (25)

• shawnalynn3
    Original Author
    11 years ago

sorry, just saw another post similar to this... my list is nothing compared to most of those :)

• muddynurse
    11 years ago

I have about 35-40 snap peas, 50ish green beans, 6 cukes, 25ish zucchinis of 5 varieties, total of 20ish varied tomato plants, 15-20 varied pepper plants a few watermelon, honeydew and cantaloupes, and this weekend Im thinking of throwing in my eggplants, pumpkins and herbs...feel like im missing somethings!!

..........oh and this is my first garden....ekk!!!!

Let me know you do shawnalymm3!!

• glib
    11 years ago

Not enough pole beans and greens. You will want to eat out of the garden most of the year. I am content with 20 tomato plants and 10 pepper and eggplants total, but I have to have 40 cardoons and 60 collards, plus similar amounts of kale and turnip, 100 garlic and 100 onions, and lesser amounts of carrots, parsnips, butternut squash, and beets for storage.

Keep an eye on what will be there when there is too much (plant less or preserve), and not enough (plant more), and also what is good for months (chard, plant more), and what is good for a week (corn, unless you do repeated plantings).

• shawnalynn3
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I do plan on about doubling the greens, thats what Ive planted so far, I want to stagger them... My pole beans didnt germinate well, I only got like a 20% yeild. So I wasnt sure if I should go and get more or not, I ordered mine from victory seeds. hmmm

• je_suis_jo
    11 years ago

I've got:
    10 peas
    8 snow peas
    8 snap peas
    10-15 bush beans
    10 pole beans
    30+ wax beans (I didn't think they were germinating so I just kept putting more in, hahah)
    8 broccoli (that are almost done)
    5 three feet long rows of carrots (I used seed tape)
    5 strawberries
    2 containers of potatoes that each had 10 seed potatoes each (10 red, 10 russet)
    7 tomatoes (2 of those are cherry tomatoes)
    2 bell peppers
    1 summer squash
    2 zucchini
    2 lemon cucumber
    3 cantelope
    30+ garlic

I'm still going to put in more squash/zukes/cukes (I'm going to grow two different varieties of cukes. I just put the lemon cuke in first) when the broccoli and peas are done.

This is just for me and my boyfriend, and I'm hoping to can a lot of beans, maybe freeze some squash and make tomato sauces. Everything else is to just eat right away.

• dhromeo
    11 years ago

I'm growing a handful of lettuce, broccoli, cauliflower and radishes, a short row of carrots, and a 30' row of peas. Those are just for eating during the growing season, I've found that if I want enough of everything I want to freeze and store, then I have to do a fall planting, or else everyone over here will eat all of what I grew by July :)

I've got 18 tomato plants, all different kinds. The potatoes and onions are going to take all season to mature, I have two 30' rows of potatoes in the ground, and going to plant another 30' here in the next week or so. I'm trying to miss the emergence of the potato beetle for my second planting, just in case those guys do show up. I have 120 feet of 5 rows of sweet corn, I planted 30 feet every couple weeks for an extended harvest, and I'm still not finished yet. I figure I can plant corn up until July 15th.

This fall I have all my seed ready to go, I'm just waiting for the end of july to get here. It'll probably turn out looking like two 60' rows of green beans, two or three 60' rows of broccoli, and another of cauliflower, 30' of turnips and 30' fall radishes (a few feet planted every week) and another row of lettuce-s (not sure of the plural of several lettuce plants of different variety).

I'm planning on making a little greenhouse on the south end of our barn and growing lettuce and spinach and napa cabbage and broccoli all winter long. If protected from the elements and nasty wind, those guys don't mind freezing temps, and I wanna see how well I can do with it. I'm figuring I'll have to put a heater in there for the nights in December and January, but we'll see.

Here is a link that might be useful: I'm a madman and I don't care!

• buckyz4
    11 years ago

50 Asparagus (Jersey Knight, Jersey Supreme, Jersey Giant)
    3 rows of new strawberries (a row is 30 ft)(Cavendish, Cabot, Earliglow)
    3 rows of strawberries to be pulled out after this year (Honeyeye, Sparkle)
    4 rows lettuce (Romaine, buttercruch, Green Ice, Royal Red)
    4 rows of onions (sets, Copra, Alaisa Craig, Red Zeppelin)
    3 rows of carrots (Nelson, Sweetness III, Tendersnax)
    2 rows of beets (Red Cloud, Cylindra)
    1 row of Kohrabi
    6 broccoli plants (Packman, Premium Crop)
    6 cauliflower plants (Snow Crown, Amazing)
    4 cabbage plants
    4 hills muskmelon (Goddess, Superstar)
    5 hills watermelon (Trillion, Sugar Baby, New Queen, Sweet Favorite, Solitaire)
    6 hills pumpkin (Snack Jack, Conn. Field, Howden Biggie, Red Warty Thing, Orange Smoothie)
    4 hills butternut squash (Waltham and Canesi)
    12 cucumber plants (Sweet Success, Sweet Slice, Summer Dance)
    2 hills zuchini
    10 tomato (Sweet Million, Sun Sugar, Early Girl, WI 55, Big Beef, Beefmaster, Tough Boy, Delicious)
    8 pepper (Garden Salsa, Bell Boy)
    4 celery
    4 egg plant
    1 row pole beans (Blue Lake)
    2 rows sweet potatoes
    10 rows peas (Karina, Dakota, Early Girl, Cascadia, Sugar Ann)
    Sweet Corn - 4 rows
    Ornamenal Popcorn - 4 rows
    Raspberries 1 row (Autumn Bliss, Ann, Latham, Prelude)
    Radishes
    Potatoes 5 Rows (Red Norland, Superior, Yukon Gold, Gold Rush, Russet Lakota)

• tedposey
    11 years ago

You're going to be covered up in bell peppers and zucinni but won't get many cantelpes, beans or corn. I plant two rows about 50 ft long of beans and corn and four or five hills of cantelopes.

• wally_1936
    11 years ago

Bell Peppers and Zucchini freeze well so that should not be a problem.

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    11 years ago

Too much to count!

I have 70' rows

4 corn

3 southern peas

3 butter beans

1 green beans

1 with different varieties of squash

1 watermelon

1 cantaloupe

1 with different varieties of tomato

dill in bare spots on the outside row of corn

1 with different varieties of pepper

3 or 4 cucumbers

1 garlic

1 onion

• Mindyw3
    11 years ago

I have:
    20 tomatoes (plus 6 that havent been planted yet)
    4 eggplants
    19 peppers (hot sweet and bell)
    6 zucchini (i expect to lose some of all cucurbs to bugs)
    10 melons
    5 acorn squash
    4 cukes
    18 shallots
    Probably 60 onions
    32 salsify
    200 carrots
    18 beets that we already ate
    8 leeks
    50ish lettuce thatss already been harvested
    100 scallions
    5 cabbage
    3 celery
    8 chard
    2 collards
    6 parsley
    50 strawberries
    2 raspberry bushes although one is dying off
    15 sq ft of pole beans and 100 ft of dry shell beans

In the spring we had 12 broccoli and 6 cauliflower. Only two of the cauliflower are actually producing....
    We also had 16 sqft of peas but about half rotted in the ground.
    I think we had around 20 each bok choy and kohlrabi. Plus various herbs. I planted 15 basil plants so far but will probably plant more.

• Mindyw3
    11 years ago

I have:
    20 tomatoes (plus 6 that havent been planted yet)
    4 eggplants
    19 peppers (hot sweet and bell)
    6 zucchini (i expect to lose some of all cucurbs to bugs)
    10 melons
    5 acorn squash
    4 cukes
    18 shallots
    Probably 60 onions
    32 salsify
    200 carrots
    18 beets that we already ate
    8 leeks
    50ish lettuce thatss already been harvested
    100 scallions
    5 cabbage
    3 celery
    8 chard
    2 collards
    6 parsley
    50 strawberries
    2 raspberry bushes although one is dying off
    15 sq ft of pole beans and 100 ft of dry shell beans

In the spring we had 12 broccoli and 6 cauliflower. Only two of the cauliflower are actually producing....
    We also had 16 sqft of peas but about half rotted in the ground.
    I think we had around 20 each bok choy and kohlrabi. Plus various herbs. I planted 15 basil plants so far but will probably plant more.

• elisa_z5
    11 years ago

Here's the deal -- I don't think numbers really tell the whole story. For example, I'm always amazed at how many tomato plants people put in. I put in seven and get enough to eat fresh, give away, make sauce out of, can and freeze and eat all winter and have some left over. Hundreds and hundreds of tomatoes from the seven plants-- each plant becomes a small jungle. Those little circular tomato cages are like a joke -- I need the heavy duty really big frames. I'm not really sure why my tomato plants get so big or produce so much, and I don't know why some people's plants stay small, but you see how numbers don't mean much?

Conversely, why can some people grow big carrots? And mine either don't germinate, or germinate and get immediately munched by something, or manage to grow and become as big as . . .my little finger. So a row of carrots is really different in my garden than in my neighbor's garden.

Your list sounds like a lot of stuff to me! But each year you'll learn more about how much you eat and how much you need to grow. I think that's part of the fun of it -- the puzzle.

• veggiecanner
    11 years ago

depending on how mnay jars you have, you will have no problem canning up every thing you have planted. If there is any thing left next year you ajust as you go along.
    year before last we canned about 75 quarts of greens. So last year I just grew enough for fresh use.
    This year i am only growing half as many green beans as last year and using the extra space for potatoes.
    But the first year i don't think you need to be picky about how much. Just fill the jars as best you can.

• silent88
    11 years ago

Wow! My list is nothing compared to those... I wonder if mine will produce anything! lol.

About 2.5 ft row of sugar snap peas on a 5-6' trellis.
    3 pole bean plants on a teepee.
    4 tomatoes... cherry, black krim, red brandywine, juliet.
    3 bell peppers... purple, yellow, red.
    1 zucchini plant
    1 rosemary
    1 oregno
    some carrots that arent growing.
    And I'm going to putin a 4-5' row of purple/yellow bush beans.

• greginnd
    11 years ago

Well, I usually cram a lot into my smaller 15x15 foot garden in my backyard. I have two rows of peas, two rows of beets - red and my favorite yellow, two rows of onions, pole beans, arugula, spinach, two rows of carrots, two rows of basil (love pesto), asian cucumbers, rhubarb, swiss chard, collards, kale, fennel. That provides a good amount of produce for eating.

I am more excited about my new 12 acre farmstead that we just purchased this spring. We are working on building it into a vineyard/winery. That will take some time. But I did take part of the old horse corral and start a 30x90 foot vegetable garden. I just finished planting everything yesterday. I was keeping notes on what was in each row on my iPhone but the notes application screwed up yesterday and my note disappeared. So, I don't think I will know for sure what is in each row until everything starts growing. But I do have:

GIant pumpkins, sweet pumpkins, zucchini, watermelon, peaches and cream corn, yellow corn, pole beans, bush beans, red and yellow beets (Yes, more - I love them), basil, carrots, 24 tomatoes, 22 peppers, 8 eggplants, spinach, fennel, kale, cucumbers. Oh, and I planted some giant sunflowers along the back - should be stunning by the end of the summer. I started a blog to document things.

Here is a link that might be useful: Greg Grows Blog

• sunnibel7 Md 7
    11 years ago

I think you'll want more corn. Each corn plant only produces a couple of ears, it's hard to beat for fresh eating, and it freezes so well. I put in 52 corn and that's just two of us. I also think you'll be drowning in zuchini, barring an invasion of squash bugs and squash vine borer. And 15 pole beans really is light, too. So far I have about 40 in and that's only 1/3 of what I will have going on as I pull out peas and place with more pole beans... I also have cowpeas and bush beans going. And I grow a whole slew of veggies you don't mention.. Peas, turnips, beets, cabbage, asian greens, potatoes, sweet potatoes, okra, onions, garlic, shallots all come to mind.

You have not mentioned where you are gardening, as in what state, which would help people tailor their responses to you better. But anyhow, I think you're going to have a blast and hey, if some things turn out to be too much and others not enough, then you'll know for next year! Cheers!

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    11 years ago

"So, I don't think I will know for sure what is in each row until everything starts growing."

I have that problem sometimes, but only if I plant after having a beer or 12...... ;)

• phasv2
    11 years ago

Well, this is my first year gardening, and I have a pretty small suburban lot to work with, but my list is as follows:

Five Squash

Ten Okra

Five Tomatillos

Five Ground Cherries

Six Cucumber Bushs(grabbed the wrong package. I wanted Vining)

Eight feet of Purple hull

And one Tomato plant (I can't have to much acid, and my wife won't eat tomatoes, otherwise I would have planted more.

And Twenty feet of Yard Long Vines that are going to second as shade for the exposed south side of my house.

This is for just my wife and I, so I feel like it will probably be plenty.

• ltilton
    11 years ago

I only grow for fresh eating for our small 2-3 person household and take any surplus to the food pantry. Don't do much preserving except for fruit. Canned beans hold no appeal, and canning tons of tomatoes proved more trouble than it was worth. I do keep potatoes, onions and squash in the cellar over the winter.

Never count individual plants, but my rows are 24'. 2 rows Candy onions, 1 row red, 1 row 1/2 cabbage 1/2 broccoli, 1 row shelling peas, one row snap peas, 3 rows lettuce, 1 row bush beans, 1 row spinach, 1 row asparagus, 3' bed in shade of asparagus for summer lettuce.

8x1' carrot bed, 8x16' potato bed. 20x20' melon patch. 3' wide strawberry bed. 1 zucchini. 2 hills cucumbers. 2 early and 2 main season tomatoes, a dozen bell peppers.

Butternut squash will go in later to replace a lot of the early stuff, more green beans, etc. Fall crops will go in after the onions and potatoes.

• lilion
    11 years ago

I love all these big lists. Sadly, I live in the middle of town with a shady yard and a 4x7 garden space. I have pole beans (planted 16 but not all came up yet. Oregano, sage, basil, thyme and rosemary. Four heads of lettuce, five cauliflower, four broccoli, onions, a cherry and a bush tomato in pots and cucumbers in a planter. Will be putting in a zucchini to fill in when I harvest the cauliflower and hopefully will get Romanesco broccoli to grow this year for fall.

It's tiny, doesn't put out too much - but there's only two to eat it - and my neighbors think I'm a gardening goddess. LOL

• lantanascape
    11 years ago

There are just two of us, but I'm really hoping to have plenty of tomatoes to can this year. My garden is not totally built, so in the future I will be growing a lot more variety, but have to adhere to the KISS principle for now. I will have:

19 tomatos, about 13 varieties
    ~10 sweet peppers
    ~10 hot peppers
    ~6 eggplant
    1 hill of carving pumpkins
    1 hill of pickling cukes (I prefer these for fresh eating, too)
    Green and yellow summer squash
    20-30 leeks
    1 artichoke (overwintering them here is dicey, so I'm just trying one)
    Parsley
    Thai and Genovese basil
    6 broccoli plants
    6 Swiss chard

I will probably also direct sow some corn, okra and pole beans if I have space left.

In the future, I'm planning to grow more pepper varieties, potatoes, lettuces, kale, beets, parsnips, carrots, strawberries, more herbs, tomatillos, bok choi, cauliflower, snap peas and English peas, fava beans and other types of dried beans, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, asparagus, sweet potatoes and winter squash. So pretty much everything. :)

• pnbrown
    11 years ago

I got a little carried away with potatoes this year, got about 500 feet in. It's all rain-fed, so yield is uncertain. Still, chances are I'll be digging a biggish potato-hole in the fall. Got about 100 feet of fava beans and 200 of peas.

If I can't get myself and a couple other people supplied with dry beans for the winter it won't be for lack of effort. I will be putting in - starting today - 150 feet of pole beans and 2-300 feet of bush beans. Also 6/75 foot rows of dent corn with pole beans on them later, and some winter squash on the edges.

Then 500 sweet potato plants are coming in early June. Trying not to think about that right now.....

• tesmith
    11 years ago

I did not keep a real track so I just did a walk through trying to calculate it all
    I did double my gardening space this year. The new space is in ground as apposed to my raised beds

2 Cherry Tomatoes
    4 full sized tomatoes
    4 Zucchini
    2 Yellow squash
    12 eggplant 3 varieties
    6 Cucumber trying to trellis for the first time this year 3 plants per trellised section
    about 12 foot width of trellised pole beans
    6 foot of trellised snow peas
    8 foot trellised sweet peas
    14 assorted peppers Bell, Sweet, Banana trying old tomato cages to help support pepper plants, last year I lost several to winds breaking them
    9 cauliflower first attempt
    12 Brussels sprouts first attempt
    12 Celery first attempt
    36 Broccoli
    12 head lettuce first attempt
    12 green cabbage (2 varieties)
    6 red cabbage
    12 head lettuce (first attempt)
    12 Romaine Lettuce
    Small seed pack bush type Lima beans
    � small seed pack Watermelon Radish
    Several bucketed containers Horse Radish
    2 small seed packs Carrots (2 varieties)
    80-100 Asparagus (assorted)
    4 small seed packs assorted leaf lettuce
    10 Lb Seed potatoes (planted in rich compost, growing in round 60" tall cages stacking in straw) First attempt using wasted space.
    Couple packs red onion
    couple packs sweet onion
    Planted a bunch of sunflower as well

For my Daughters a couple pumpkin plants

I am also gathering and planning for my fall garden!

• sunnibel7 Md 7
    11 years ago

Pat, I hate to tell you that Early June starts next week...

And I am wondering, what's a potato hole? I mean, it sounds like a hole for putting potatoes in for storage, but is it anything more than just a big hole in the ground?

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional