Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cauliflower won't flower

Posted by eyes5 (My Page) on
Sat, May 2, 09 at 20:52

I grew purple cape overwintering cauliflower last August or so, and they're supposed to form curds by March. Only one of them has so far, but the others, though big and happy, don't show any hint of flowering. What's going on? Should I wait longer or should I pull these plants that I've waited so long to harvest?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cauliflower won't flower

You probably watered them wrong. Look closely and see if you have golf ball size heads. if so, you did not water enough.

Here is a link that might be useful: Start a growers diary here

o

If they're growing I'd just wait at least another month. Where did you purchase your seed? Tom

o

I grew purple cape two years ago and could not get them to form heads. I planted in spring and had nothing by winter (I'd missed the overwintering instructions). I left them in the garden and they barely made it through the winter. Only one was healthy enough to form a very small head.

I decided my winters were too harsh for them. Are you really in Canada? I'm very surprised they even made it through the winter, unless you are near Vancouver! How did you do it? If they are still big and healthy, I'd wait and see. My thought was that they needed a climate more similar to South Africa, like San Francisco, to overwinter well, but perhaps I am wrong.

Bellatrix.

o

I have never tried Purple Cape either, but it is listed at 200 days, which is almost 7 months to maturity. Cold winters would make it even slower. So if your plants are healthy, I would suggest that you wait awhile.

o

I bought the seeds from West Coast seeds, which is the most reputable seed provider in my area, as far as I know. And they're locally based, so I'm surprised to hear that the plants need even warmer conditions.

I indeed live in Vancouver! Though, this winter has been unusually harsh and long. I used a floating row cover to protect what I can and brushed off layers of snow every time it snowed. And still I lost several plants.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here