Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Garden Pests

Posted by bcwallace GA (My Page) on
Thu, May 9, 13 at 20:54

Hi,

Can anyone identify this garden pest. Is it harmful to my vegetable garden.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Garden Pests

Quite the opposite.. That appears to be a larval ladybug, a beneficial insect for gardens.

o

a larval ladybug

Agree.

Dave

o

Agree agree. :) they are known to eat aphids, several per day. You might also want to check the link below, which shows what the pupa looks like. That's the stage between this and the familiar ladybug adult stage.

I have several all over my strawberry plants and I enjoy watching them. They are very active!

Here is a link that might be useful: Ladybug Pupa

o

Thanks so much! I am fairly new to gardening and I have not learned the various pest (good or bad) yet. I will add this photo to my almanac to I know they are good to have around.

Thanks again and Happy Gardening!!!!

o

When I first started, I took a kill first, ask questions later approach, but time and again I'd end up killing a good bug or at least something neutral.. I've found that actual pests are far outnumbered by neutral/good.

If you want to take a no risk approach, I suggest keeping a jar or something handy so you can catch whatever bug you find on your plants, then hold it captive while IDing it. Then if it's a good one, you can let it go.

o

That's a good idea. Thanks for the suggestion.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here