Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
desertwillow82

High temps killing all my plants?

desertwillow82
10 years ago

From my jalapeno to my star jasmine, about half of what I've planted this year is dying. I have never had this problem at previous homes, but I think there's too much sun here. My home runs north/south, so there is almost no shade, ever. What parts are shaded still get 10+ hours of sun a day - and it's almost 100 degrees here now.

Do I need to build some kind of sun shade over my plants?

Even my "drought and heat tolerant" plants are turning brown or just drying up.

I have heavy clay soil, but I've loosened it, and I've worked in top soil prior to planting. No compost though because frankly, I can't afford it.

Maybe a garden, and flower bed that isn't 100% xeriscaping, just flat out isn't possible here?

(The tomatoes, true to form, are thriving.)

I have read conflicting messages - don't overwater, but don't underwater. Well how do I know how much water to give in 100-degree heat?

Do I need to install an in-ground watering system, so I'm watering from within, not above?

Here's a picture of my sad little jalapeno plant. I have three others I want to plant, along with a hibiscus, but frankly, I'm afraid to.

Thanks for any advice.

Comments (5)

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    10 years ago

Rule of thumb in a dry area for perennials is that even low water/drought tolerant plants need more water the first year or so to get established. If you plant something new, plant it in the evening so that it has the cooler weather to help it adjust. When it is that hot, with the low humidity you may find yourself watering every morning. Dig down in the dirt a couple of inches, if it is dry, water. If it is moist, don't. It could also help to erect some shade cloth over the vegetables but most will not do much at the high of a temperature. When it cools off, they could take off then but most vegetables do not like those temperatures.

If you plan to stay in your current place for a while I would make a priority of getting shade in place. Micro-climates are essential. I am guessing you are in the southern half of the state as here in the central mountains we are in the 80s but even with my cooler temps, developing microclimates with trees and shrubs is essential. Good luck. Gardening in NM is definitely an adventure, not for the faint of heart.

• desertwillow82
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm in Roswell, so yeah, southern half.

I've been watering every morning. I haven't planted anything in the heat of the day.

I read the reviews for the soil I was using, and they were all bad. I made the mistake of using "cheap" soil, even though it was name brand (Scotts). I think that's what has done all the plants in, plus the high heat.

Maybe I should just plan now for a fall garden, I might have better luck then.

• rev477
    10 years ago

I am in Vegas & know many, many gardeners who are able to grow most anything here .. with a few exceptions (Citrus & blueberries - tho i am trying to keep my blueberry plant alive til we move in a few years !!) ... i have many jalapenos ready for picking now .. so it is possible . Microclimate is absolutely so important. you need protection from afternoon sun tho my jalapenos don't have much nor my other plants. you might be right that is the soil you used.

The west & south are the hottest parts of your home. avoid planting there & work on cooling your microclimate & experiment with "over"watering one of the plants to see if that is the problem. Mulch also helps prevent evaporation.

• Demannu
    10 years ago

I just recently started my garden in my atrium (located on the southeast corner of my home) here in Vegas about two months ago and my plants were doing fine. I have 2 Tomato plants, a habanero, 2 morning glories. the hab seemed to stop growing (which i read somewhere that it was normal), my tomatoes are healthy and thriving.

This past week has been (Chronicles of Riddick you step into the sun you burst into flames) hot, so the last two days I have noticed that leaves are turning crispy (still green not brown) and falling off. Today I watered in the am (5-6) and my hab was fine and happy, but I just checked them all the habs leaves are crispy and falling off.

The plant food I use is an up to two month Scotts blend and they have another month before i feed again. My plants receive 4-7 hour of direct sun
    Any suggestions on how to keep my habs from dying I want it to produce at least one pepper before it dies.

This post was edited by Demannu on Wed, Jul 3, 13 at 19:45

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    10 years ago

I'll say it again... Mulch., mulch, mulch! 3-4 inches if need be. As mentioned above, evaporation is one thing, but you guys are struggling because of SOIL temps. Shade cloth, sheets, trees are all very helpful too for that afternoon heat. Try to rig something up when those afternoon temps hit 95 and up. When it cools off in the evening, pull the shade off. Make it a daily ritual, if you can. Otherwise, plant in containers that can go under partially shaded patio covers.

But, MULCH!

Good luck.

Kevin