Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
need help with raised beds!

Posted by kawaiineko_gardener 5a (jesusbeloved29@yahoo.com) on
Wed, May 14, 14 at 21:01

NOTE: I am going to cover the surface of the raised beds with black mulch, as the growing season here is very short (120 days) and the weather fluctuates greatly with the temps. I have never used black mulch before, so how will I water the plants with the surface of the soil being covered with black mulch?

I am very new to planting in raised beds, and this is in regards to planting melons in raised beds. I tried growing melons in raised beds last year, and it was my first year growing melons, and last year was my first year doing raised beds as well.

Unfortunately I overcrowded the beds and they basically took over the entire space of the beds.

I have both bush and vine types, and will be growing them in 4' x 8' raised beds. With trellising, how many bush type melons can I grow per 4'x 8' raised beds? With vining type melons, again using trellising, how many melons can I grow per raised bed?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: need help with raised beds!

What kind of black mulch? If it's the wood chips, you can still hand water. Maybe lay a soaker hose or drip irrigation before laying down your mulch.
I don't use drip cause I have tons of minerals in my water and they tend to clog. I prefer to hand water (therapy) or use the soaker hose and the oven timer or my watch (or cell phone) timer. Nancy

o
RE: need help with raised beds!

• Posted by digdirt 6b-7a North AR (My Page) on
    Wed, May 14, 14 at 21:38

If you mean landscape fabric then water passes through it. it has holes in it. Plus you cut holes in it to plant the plants so you water easily around the plants.

Dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here