Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pickling calcium ???

Posted by baboiler indiana (My Page) on
Mon, May 21, 12 at 21:02

Hello all. New to the forum and looking forward to some great advise from site members. Here is a question I hope to get an answer for. I had a conversation with an older gentleman this weekend concerning growing tomatoes. He gave me a recipe for a homemade liquid that he sprays on his plants once a week to aid in disease resistance and to grow stronger plants. One of the ingrdients he wrote down is "Pickling Calcium". I searched the net and cannot find anything simply called pickling calcium. Does anyone have an idea what he may be refering to? He also has written down "calcium" sepperate to the "pickling calcium" as if it's 2 different things. Can to much calcium hurt plants? The amount is a tablespoon each to a gallon water.There are other ingredients but the calcium has me a bit confused. Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pickling calcium ???

Calcium hydroxide. For making lime pickles, use food grade. for a garden you can use the tech grade sold as air slaked lime. Yes calcium hydroxide is soluble and can raise pH too high.

o
RE: pickling calcium ???

Yeah using lime to dust plants or spraying ca hydrox is an old farmers tip from way back when I was kid. Supposed to all sorts of great things it is claimed. Operative word - "supposed".

May be of some help in certain situations but the risks of over-use or using indiscriminately, especially without knowing your soil pH usually outweighs any gains as it can really skew your pH.

Dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here