Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nancyjane_gardener

Verticle melons?

I started a honeydew melon, then ran out of room except for a 3x3 raised box.
Not knowing how far a honeydew can sprawl, we're thinking of a vertical approach.
Any help here? Nancy

Comments (14)

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    9 years ago

I have grown cantaloupe melons (and large summer squash) up a flat trellis. It had a rectangular wooden frame and galvanized wire mesh with ~4" openings. The plants grew up it just fine, and the only issue to be aware of is having something to support the melons so they don't fall off when they get heavy as they ripen. I used fabric slings under the fruit that I tied to the wire mesh.

• jeanwedding. zone 6
    9 years ago

what about watermelons?, same applies? I assume only the small watermelons?
    Also how wide should frame be ? one for each melon ?
    what about cattle panels? they are 51 inches tall....
    Is that tall enough????
    thanks all

• Creativeguy_z6_CT
    9 years ago

I plan to trellis melons this year... though don't count my answer as an experienced one. This'll be my first year doing so. I plan to use cattle panels due to their relative rigidity, and will use a fabric/mesh sling for most melon types. I also plan to grow a large type of watermelon for which I'll have some small "stools" set next to the trellis to set the melons on as they form. I only expect to have 2 or 3 of the larger watermelons, so I think it's probably more feasible to do it that way than it would be if I had a dozen or more.

• nancyjane_gardener
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sounds good! We have a 3 sided hog wire panel that should do the trick. We can also utilize our furushiki (Japanese folding) techniques! Nancy

• Creativeguy_z6_CT
    9 years ago

I don't know what furushiki is about, but I'm sure as heck lookin' it up now! Gerdenweb is certainly an education...

• springtogarden
    9 years ago

We should keep this thread updated on our experiences. I plan on trying this out myself this year. Hope it works for us all :)!

• gardengrid
    9 years ago

Victorian kitchen garden on daily motion and all new square foot gardening book

• mojogardener
    9 years ago

I grow all my melons on cattle panels, you can go to the Dollar store and buy some childrens tights or pantyhose and make a sling. In my opinion you'll need something that will not hold water when it rains. I've had good success with this method.

• nancyjane_gardener
    Original Author
    9 years ago

creativeguy-We took a class at the local library on furushiki, and do all of our gift wrapping using this technique now!! All sorts of great uses! Nancy

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    9 years ago

I'm growing vertically this year too. When you say a sling, and using panty hose, do you place the melon in the foot of the pantyhose and tie it to the trellis? You don't mean like a hammock under the melon, right? So that would be one leg of pantyhose for every melon?

• mojogardener
    9 years ago

I'm sorry it took so long to respond. I mean like a hammock under the watermelon tied off to the cattle panel. I get two "hammocks" for one pair of hose, cut down the middle of the crotch. Childrens tights work for muskmelon in the same fashion. If those tights could take my rambunctious daughters abuse, they're plenty strong enough for slings. Have you ever seen those pot hangers like back in the late 70's & early 80's made of some type of twine to hold a pot to hang it from a hook? I've thought of making some of those out of 3/16" diamond braid rope, you can get 150' for four dollars at Menard's, it has a 70 lb. rating on it. Those could be used year after year. google "plant pot sling" and it will bring up some pictures and instructables, also some people that used old t-shirts as a sling for watermelon, who doesn't have an old one of those laying around?

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    9 years ago

I also did a hammock out of old tights or nylons.

• mojogardener
    9 years ago

Do you buy oranges, onions or potatoes in bulk? Those little mesh bags they come in work good for cantaloupe. DO NOT try watermelon with them, I'm speaking from experience.

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County